H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Neal Videan New Stronger Brake Shoes 2019

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
so thats almost DOUBLE the VOC price. Time to review suppliers?????????? Just wondering
David, Thanks for explanation, but I am still struggling, I never was very academic at school, or since for that matter, Neal Videan is selling 1 x Pair of beefed up new brake shoes that are already lined for £196.00
The VOC Spares Company seem to be selling two different types of beefed up brake shoes, one type beefed up in much the same way as Neal has done, and the another type are beefed up in a similar fashion to the shoes that Patrick made, but in both cases they list them as sold as a pair, lined and selling for £302.40, so what here is twice the price of what, I hope I am not being seen as particularly pedantic, but I simply cannot work it out.

Last edited:

The VOC Spares Company Limited

VOC Member
The H8-2AS brake shoes we sell are from Neil Videan. They are lined and include spring and Face plates. We do sell several of his parts, and are looking to stock more of them.
You need to do your homework when comparing prices, ours include delivery and Taxes.
We have had customers complain about our prices of imported goods only to find when they have ordered direct, after paying freight and taxes we were indeed cheaper and less hassle.
The more you support YOUR Spares Company the cheaper we can supply. All our profits go towards stocking more products and reducing prices.

Rant over

Cheers
Bob

Albervin

VOC Member
I think this comes down to giving a bit of thought to what you are buying. In Australia the cheapest option is to buy some of Neals's shoes (NOTE spelling Bob) then have them lined with whatever your choice of material by ABC (Australian Brake and Clutch). I think Martyn was a bit over eager with his maths but even so; these are a light weight so freight is not massive. ABC charge $50 to bond a pair of m/cycle brake shoes but you do need to specify the material. I do not know what VB3000 linings are but I assume Neal and his team have done their homework and they are suitable for our steeds.
I had a long conversation with Ian Savage about the VOCS selling items made outside of the EU and I now understand how complex that is. If the VOCS bought an item from (say) Australia, they would have to pay VAT on import. If they sold that item within the EU then the VAT is paid on the sale price. If it is sold to the USA or Scandinavia the VAT is removed and a credit is claimed from HMRC. That is a lot of paperwork.
Bottom line is we are very fortunate here in Australia to have an enthusiast like Neal.

davidd

VOC Member
The H8-2AS brake shoes we sell are from Neil Videan. They are lined and include spring and Face plates. We do sell several of his parts, and are looking to stock more of them.
You need to do your homework when comparing prices, ours include delivery and Taxes.
We have had customers complain about our prices of imported goods only to find when they have ordered direct, after paying freight and taxes we were indeed cheaper and less hassle.
The more you support YOUR Spares Company the cheaper we can supply. All our profits go towards stocking more products and reducing prices.

Rant over

I did not see your comment as a rant and I can see that your feelings may be perfectly appropriate, but you are leaving information out and providing very little information on the Club's products. Just post a photo of the Neal Videan shoes that the Club carries and describe the the product and price. I know that this may not be anyone's specific job, so this is not a complaint, it is just a response to the post.

I had approached Neal over a year ago about these brake shoes and followed up at every opportunity. I reported all the information I was made aware of in the first post when I received the brake shoes. It was Tim who mentioned the relative price and implied the cost of the shoes was high.

I hope that no one is confused or upset by the original post, but if all the subsequent posts disappeared (including this one) the information would be accurate. My interest is only building better brakes.

David

Dinny

VOC Member
Neal has been working on these new shoes for a while and I would have bought shoes from him if I had not found originals. The quality of his products is superb and I have bought many series A parts from him as they are not available via the club. His service is excellent and he is a genuine good guy. I however would say the pictures on the VOC website do not look like his shoes and they have only been available as of very recently.

Mark

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I have received my Videan brake shoes and our intrepid SO, Justin Mackay-Smith turned them to match my drums. My heavy duty cables are a touch too short to accommodate minimum skimming, so Justin took another .040" off the linings. Mine are approx. .185" thick. The angle between the arm and cable is still may be > 90deg, so not perfect. Anyway, I took it for a ride and the brakes seem quite a bit firmer.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I have received my Videan brake shoes and our intrepid SO, Justin Mackay-Smith turned them to match my drums. My heavy duty cables are a touch too short to accommodate minimum skimming, so Justin took another .040" off the linings. Mine are approx. .185" thick. The angle between the arm and cable is still may be > 90deg, so not perfect. Anyway, I took it for a ride and the brakes seem quite a bit firmer.
Bit perplexed by your comments re cable length and arm angles. The serrated "washers" H13 provide a vernier like adjustment by rotating them 90 degrees on the H10 shaft. There is possibly sufficient adjustment that way to overcome issues with lining thickness as well as the actuating arm (H48) position.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
The way I read it Bruce's brake cables are a Tadge to short, if he tries to set his brake arms at say 75 degrees between cable and arm, giving 90 degrees when the linings are pulled up tight to the drum, the cables have been made to short to allow him to achieve this, personally I think I would have sourced longer cables or reduced the outer cables rather than lose valuable lining material.

Last edited: