H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Neal Videan New Stronger Brake Shoes 2019

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have spent a lot of time this past year making very strong brake shoes for the racers. David Tompkins is very happy with the results on his racer. Recently a new alternative surfaced from Neal Videan who is selling a new stock shaped brake shoe that is about double the dimensions of the stock shoe. I received the shoes today and although I have not installed a set they appear to deliver the goods.
DSCN3798.jpg

If it is not already obvious, the top shoe is the Videan shoe and the bottom shoe is the stock shoe. I should mention that the thickness of the web is doubled also.

The price of a pair of shoes with the H48 plates and H31/1 spring with the shoe unlined is $250 Australian (circa 140 Pounds Sterling today).

The price of a pair of shoes with the H48s and H31/1 that are lined with VB3000 lining from Vintage Brake in the US is $350 Australian (circa 196 Pounds).

Additionally, the design of the brake spring mounts have been strengthened.

David

Black Flash

VOC Member
Seems to be a very good move to me. When I showed an original brake shoe to the foreman of my foundry [a 20 stone type of guy] he twisted it in his hands, put it back on the table and said he would never want to ride a bike with this sort of brake.
Maybe good for a moped [25 mph small motorcycle] but not for something capable of 70+mph.
He is a very enthusiastic classic biker by the way, mainly guzzis and ducatis.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
so thats almost DOUBLE the VOC price. Time to review suppliers?????????? Just wondering
I am really struggling with the maths here, a new pair of shoes lined and ready to go from Neal Videan is £196.00, from the VOC Spares Company lined and ready to go are £302.20, so what is nearly double what, clearly double Neal Videan's price is £392.00, or is it the phraseology that I am not understanding?

davidd

VOC Member
Peter,

The Videan shoes, like all of the Videan items are not sold by the Voc Spares. The Godet style shoes are sold by the Voc Spares and they are and have been quite expensive. I think they are a fine shoe, but at the time I think Patrick was using a supplier to do small batches of magnesium racing shoes and that may have had an impact on the price of his aluminum shoes. In turn, may have been that Patrick was the supplier to the Voc Spares.

Both Voc Spares and Videan sell the shoes as pairs. I do not know if the Voc Spares sell the shoes with linings as I did not see the listing. My memory was that the Voc Spares sold the bare shoes for about 300 Pounds per pair. The Videan unlined shoes sell for 140 Pounds a pair. With linings, the Videan shoes sell for 196 Pounds per pair (using today's exchange rate.)

You will need two pair of shoes to do a front wheel.

The Videan shoes are quite inexpensive in my opinion. The shoes I make myself cost a bit more than the Videan shoes if I factor in my costs of machining and lining the shoes.

David