Nasty Crease on Stainless Mudgard

G

Graham Smith

I have a nasty crease on the front mudguard of my Comet.

I was pretty much resigned to the fact that at sometime I'd have to buy a new one, but Sidecar Grandpa recently said that someone might be able to roll most of the damage out.

Anyone know of someone who might be able to help?

Tnecniv Edipar

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Some one with an English wheel and the knowledge to use it. I reckon stainless might be tricky as it work hardens so annealing may be required during the work ?

ET43

Non-VOC Member
Mudguard crease

Try looking for a firm called Metal Magic, somewhere in Hampshire. I think that the proprietor is called Terry Roberts. He rolled some mudguards for me yonks ago, albeit in alloy, but you don't know if you don't ask.
Cheers, ET43

deejay499

VOC Member
Graham. I think I have a crease in the Prince big end.:mad: I wonder if he can that out?
Next time I am down there I will ask about your mudguard.
Cheers, DJ

timetraveller

VOC Member
If it is ally then you can do it by hand with a bag of sand and a hammer with the correct radius on it. A set of panel beating hammers can be bought cheaply if one does not want the best quality. I had to do this years ago when the mudguards which were being supplied were incorrect in all dimensions and I had to resort to rescuing an old one. It might work with stainless as well. Remember, if I can do it then anyone can do it!!

indianken

Non-VOC Member
Graham,

Any competent tin knocker, aged 50+, should be able to straighten and polish it out for a few pints. I say 50+, as he will be from the time when you straightened out panel dents not just filling them in with bondo .

I'd offer to do it myself but shipping both ways would be a killer.

Cheers,
Ken Smith (USA)
mogfootblister1.jpg
mogfootblister4.jpg

MrToad1.jpg

I have a nasty crease on the front mudguard of my Comet.

I was pretty much resigned to the fact that at sometime I'd have to buy a new one, but Sidecar Grandpa recently said that someone might be able to roll most of the damage out.

Anyone know of someone who might be able to help?

Attachments

• mogfootblister1.jpg
    mogfootblister1.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 16

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
My builder dropped a plank on the stainless front guard of my Comet. I knocked out the crease with a polythene bag of sand and a very light round head hammer. I used very light blows working from the outside edge and checking every few strokes.It is essential to clean any dirt or grit from the inside of the guard first. The result is not perfect but is only noticeable on very close inspection.