Names of people in photos in Vincent books

Diogenes

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Ever wondered who was who in a Vincent book photo?
Often the only people named are PCV and PEI, which is hardly necessary.

It seems odd to go to the trouble of collecting good quality photos, then publishing a book and then leaving people unnamed.

That leaves the reader trying to work out who was who, from a poor quality printed photo.

The following link can help providing some of the missing information.

https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/veryoldbikes/info

A new Folder in the Files Section, called

"Names of people in Photos"

has been added.

It can be seen at:

https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/veryoldbikes/files/Names of people in Photos/

The INTRODUCTION is as follows:

Books on Vincents often have good photos but the people are not always named.

Some names have been added by Jack Lazenby, to whom many thanks.

[ Jack's memory at age 96 is better than most peoples's at 66.]

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

vibrac

VOC Member
You should worry "A Vincent miscellany " calls me' Terry' all the way through

Tim

Diogenes

Non-VOC Member
Ever wondered who was who in a Vincent book photo?
Often the only people named are PCV and PEI, which is hardly necessary.

The following link can help providing some of the missing information.

https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/veryoldbikes/info

A new Folder in the Files Section, called

"Names of people in Photos"

has been added.

It can be seen at:

https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/veryoldbikes/files/Names of people in Photos/

The INTRODUCTION is as follows:

Books on Vincents often have good photos but the people are not always named.

Some names have been added by Jack Lazenby, to whom many thanks.

[ Jack's memory at age 96 is better than most peoples's at 66.]

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

ADDED MATERIAL AUGUST 2014.
There are some good Vincent photos in the "Sports Model Road Tests" published by Motorcycling, Temple Press 1959.
The staff people riding the bikes are mainly not named.
However, some are named in Cyril Ayton's fine 1988 book "VINCENT FROM 1938", ISBN-1-870979-1 , particularly in the Introduction.
Cyril was once the Editor of 'Motorcycle Sport', which for some years in 1960s onward looked a bit like a supplement to MPH.
The following info has largely come from Cyril Ayton and Bruce Main-Smith, to whom many thanks.
Please let me know if there are any necessary changes or additions.

Series B Shadow.
Charlie Markham tested the Series B Shadow and is shown in the first three photos in the road test report.
"Charlie Markham was killed roadtesting shortly before I (BMS) joined The Green'Un (at Little Brickhill, when stationary at A5 roadworks, wiped out by a lorry I believe)".
Photo at start of road test report shows 4 people gazing down at the Shadow.
Left to Right they are:
Unknown, Cyril Quantrill, Charlie Markham, Graham Walker (probably).
Graham Walker was editor of Motor Cycling magazine from 1938 to 1954.

Series C Rapide and Blacknell sidecar.
"That was Cyril Quantrill testing the Rapide and Blacknell sidecar."
"I believe CQ had a staff sidecar using a special 600cc Inter Norton and this was known as HMS Insufferable."
"For further info Cyril Quantrill left Motor Cycling in 1955 and went to Peter Baldwin's weekly SE England paper Trials & Motocross News which was bought by EMAP and became Motor Cycle News. CQ then became Duckhams comp manager. He handed out jolly good anoraks!"

Series C Comet.
Dennis Hardwicke, Midlands editor of Motor Cycling, tested the C Comet and appears in the first picture in the road test report.
"Dennis Hardwicke left Motor Cycling ( probably in 1954 ) and joined BSA.
I ( BMS ) do not know their further histories."
"For further info Cyril Quantrill left Motor Cycling in 1955 and went to Peter Baldwin's weekly SE England paper Trials & Motocross News which was bought by EMAP and became Motor Cycle News. CQ then became Duckhams comp manager. He handed out jolly good anoraks!"
Series C Comet.
Dennis Hardwicke, Midlands editor of Motor Cycling, tested the C Comet and appears in the first picture in the road test report.

Diogenes

Non-VOC Member
Sorry about accidental duplication.
If I could edit my Reply I would delete the final chunk as follows:

"For further info Cyril Quantrill left Motor Cycling in 1955 and went to Peter Baldwin's weekly SE England paper Trials & Motocross News which was bought by EMAP and becameMotor Cycle News. CQ then became Duckhams comp manager. He handed out jolly good anoraks!"
Series C Comet.

Diogenes

Non-VOC Member
Any missing names for the photos would be welcome.

Dennis Hardwicke is also mentioned in the roland-pike-autobiography, which is a fascinating 'behind the scenes' book, mainly BSA.

http://beezagent.blogspot.co.uk/2009/02/roland-pike-autobiography-chapter-26.html

"When Bert Perrigo was made sales manager to Ariels Dennis Hardwicke was brought in to take his place. Dennis Hardwicke came to BSA from Temple Press where he was on the staff of Motor Cycling and had written very flattering articles on BSA which led to his being given the job of competition manager. When he first came to BSA Mr Hopwood asked me to try and help Dennis until he finds his feet. I do not think Hardwicke appreciated this as before long he was trying to get my best mechanics to work in the competition shop and did eventually have a dyno installed so they could test their own engines, which was a waste of effort and unnecessary expense. He did a pretty good job as competition manager, too good in a way, he got all the best riders from other makes on BSA's which reduced public interest."

Diogenes.