Name plate E62

Dean Grace

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Also this may seem like a dumb question but the Name plate E62, is it made from a peculiar mix of alloy's? I have 2 broken ones here and am in need of one good one so am thinking about getting one good one made from the two, in other words I want to cut a piece from one and get it welded into the other but am unsure as to whether it's weldable.

Last edited by a moderator:

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Dean,

I would think that welding would cost more than replacing it with a new one. You can even use the lovely HRD one if you wish.

David

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Dean, Don't know if you are in UK, If you are and you want to play with the bits you have, There is something called Lumiweld, It makes ( A strong fused joint ) similar to brazing, And all you need is a Butane blow lamp. You don't have any pressure in the clutch case, So leaks are not a worry, I paint my name plate black and just polish the top of the letters, So that should cover up the (weld) !!. Have a look www.frost.co.uk Cheers Bill. Ps As david says I picked an HRD one at a boot fair for about a £10 undrilled, All The Best, Bill.

Dean Grace

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the responses thus far, I'm in Australia and have to say the name plate E62 is not an easy find, the VOC and Vincent Parts sites don't have them and from what I was told won't have them for a good while with no plans to have any made in the near future so I thought seeing as I have these two broken ones I might be able to get one out of the two.
Never heard of Lumiweld I'll have to have a search and see if I can find it in Australia.

davidd

VOC Member
Dean,

I would bet that Neal Videan has the HRD one new as he has been casting them up recently for the A Twins he is building. To answer your question more precisely, I believe the metal is the same as the primary cover, nothing unusual, so I think it could be welded. I am not sure what the best approach is. You might be able to weld the perimeter and put a few tacks on the crack in the middle or the back. If you do to much it will warp. Bill's suggestion is good, but like you I am not familiar with the product.

This is the Series A one:
100_2555.jpg

I have clay in the holes as it is about to be entombed by fiberglass.

David

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Dean, You say you have two broken ones, I bought a long time ago an Engine and gearbox in bits, From two different blokes, The name plate had been bashed in by the footrest after a crash, The name plate came from one bloke and the chaincase from another, They match perfect !! My brother said any Comet in a crash would have the same marks, But I like to think , One day I will put them back together as a running Bike !!, Being Alloy it is cracked where it has been pushed in, But I think it can be made flat and filled with car body filler ? and painted black, Then polish the top of the letters, Sorry if I have gone on too much, Cheers Bill.