H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Mystery Vincent Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
No Bill the guy knew it was Vincent or he wouldent have pimped us but it might have been sold for a lot less if we had not unwittingly helped push up the price "brake rod believed Vincent" is a much better heading

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
The way I read his initial enquiry he only had an inkling that it was a Vincent part by identifying the part number off the wing nut, I guess if you type that number into Google the name Vincent pops up, but his enquiry and response was polite and courteous, the problem arises when he lists it on Ebay for an exorbitant price, but it has not sold yet, perhaps it won't, well not for the price he is asking, we have to realise that the days of listing parts for sale in the spares ads of Classic Bike are long gone, it would have been nicer if he had listed as an auction , starting at £0.99 or Dollars, whatever, and then sell it for what it is actually worth, he might well end up having to do that. But should we really close ranks to all that need assistance of some kind because the occasional person proves to be nefarious. We used to refer to it as "casting one's bread upon the water".

Last edited:

timetraveller

VOC Member
Speaking only for myself I am completely relaxed about helping people with Vincents, whether they are club members or not.. A few years ago the club had to bar someone who worked on the 'dark side' but someone just asking for help is another matter. Anyone who knows Vincents, or who is prepared to go along to a club night, will soon discover the cost of buying this item new. Anyone silly enough to be buying for investment purposes deserves whatever happens.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I am with Norman here, 100%, 54 years ago if a Vincent owner and Club Member (Marcus Bowden) had not stopped to help a non member with a broken down Vincent (Me) I might never have joined the VOC and also would have missed out on a great friendship that is still going strong to this day, the catalyst then was not the Club, great though it is, but The Vincent Motorcycle.

vibrac

VOC Member
I agree Peter I would stop for a stranger with a Vincent (or not) but thats a long way from getting pimped (however politely) to raise the price of SH spares I am afraid I am with Genedn ,LoneStar and MartynG on this.

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
The way I read his initial enquiry he only had an inkling that it was a Vincent part by identifying the part number off the wing nut, I guess if you type that number into Google the name Vincent pops up, but his enquiry and response was polite and courteous, the problem arises when he lists it on Ebay for an exorbitant price, but it has not sold yet, perhaps it won't, well not for the price he is asking, we have to realise that the days of listing parts for sale in the spares ads of Classic Bike are long gone, it would have been nicer if he had listed as an auction , starting at £0.99 or Dollars, whatever, and then sell it for what it is actually worth, he might well end up having to do that. But should we really close ranks to all that need assistance of some kind because the occasional person proves to be nefarious. We used to refer to it as "casting one's bread upon the water".
Speaking only for myself I am completely relaxed about helping people with Vincents, whether they are club members or not.. A few years ago the club had to bar someone who worked on the 'dark side' but someone just asking for help is another matter. Anyone who knows Vincents, or who is prepared to go along to a club night, will soon discover the cost of buying this item new. Anyone silly enough to be buying for investment purposes deserves whatever happens.

My point is this gentleman is running a business for spare parts online and is not an individual looking for a bit of assistance. I don't think the club forum should be promoting other peoples private enterprise. We don't have Graham from Maughan's or John Healy from Coventry on here asking for assistance or price information.

timetraveller

VOC Member
So do you think that we should have ignored this chaps question and told him, however politely, to 'f 'off. I, for one, am not going to start asking whether people are club member or not and if a non member wants to buy a new steering head, for example, he will have to pay the same price as club members. The Spares Company, on the other hand, are a commercial enterprise, partially owned by the club or club members, and they do differentiate, That might encourage some people to join the VOC but we have enough restrictions on our private lives, and I don't mean just now, that I do not wish to add to our invasive or questioning society. If the chap can find someone to pay an inflated price then more fool them and perhaps they will learn to appreciate a Vincent for what it is, not an investment opportunity.

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
As stated by people more eloquent than I, what I think we need to look at is access for non VOC members on the forum. Join the club have fun, ask questions, ride your bike and sell your wares.

One final point I would like to make. We as club members are bound by the rules of the Vincent Owners Club and can be held accountable for our actions. Non members are not accountable at all. This extends to the use of our club forum.

I will comment no further.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
On this forum, non-members do not have access to all areas. The Vincent Spares Co sells to anyone but gives a discount to VOC members. I think that this strikes something of a balance. Two things that might encourage people to become club members. I personally feel that anything that encourages people to join our club is good for us as a club but on the other hand, if a non-member asked me for help I would almost certainly give it.
The other VOC (Velocette) have Velocette Spares only sell to Velocette Owners Club members, not necessarily right or wrong but a different ideology.
Also, guilty myself as found, this thread has drifted far off the mystery vincent rod topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.