Mystery Item

A-BCD

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Is that a photo of the bike you altered to look like a series a.
Is it the purple one or are they one and the same?
Ossie
That is the Purple series C Rapide, the bike I 'A-ised' is my Series B Rapide. The C was re-painted black and put back to almost standard when I sold it in 1971 - although it still had 2 front heads, Lightning-sized wheels, Shadow carbs and Mk II cams!! I kept the Bramptons, 8" headlamp and Lightning brakes for my B - I already had the crankcases and covers at that time. Pleased to say my original C is now back in the North Kent section !!
Here's the nearside of the C, showing the location of the compressor for the Maserati air horns.

MUV766atStanfordHall1967.jpg

b'knighted

VOC Member
I have no photo’s but I did manage to hide 6v compressor and trumpets on my Comet between the battery and the back of the Altette. I managed to find horns with black trumpets instead of red but the hideous translucent pink pipe was hidden in black shrink sleeving.
Brian – as you seem to have kept a photographic record can I see some pictures of the bike with gold plated speedo rim and alpine horn domes on the handlebars. This was the first twin I rode (thankyou) and according to your write up I’d expect it to be the B with Bramptons. I probably didn’t appreciate the finer points of the differences between B & C at the time but I would have thought that I’d have noticed that your forks were different from mine.

The lightning sized wheels on the C pictured, certainly give it an eager look.

Cheers

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
Hi Ian,

here it is in 1988 at the VOC Riders Rally at Rousham House !! Speedo rim wasn't as exotic as gold plated - the original chrome was shot so I polished it off - just brass I'm afraid !! '..all that glisters is not gold...'
TEV140RoushamHouseAnnualrally1988.jpg