My Vincent

wadayathink?

• Total voters

baxter

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
restoration is finished ( for a while) thanks to Peter Volkers. Here are some pics. It's a Rapide C (from a B-series) of that mysterious year 1950 ...i'll post pics as i found it and how it is now. Question : i bought two craven panniers but Peter said no rack exists. Should i wait for cravens co to start building or is there another way to pack stuff on a vincent at the back ? cheers
IMG_3125.JPG
IMG_3124.JPG
IMG_2803.jpg

Len Matthews

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
restoration is finished ( for a while) thanks to Peter Volkers. Here are some pics. It's a Rapide C (from a B-series) of that mysterious year 1950 ...i'll post pics as i found it and how it is now. Question : i bought two craven panniers but Peter said no rack exists. Should i wait for cravens co to start building or is there another way to pack stuff on a vincent at the back ? cheersView attachment 2403View attachment 2402 View attachment 2401
Judging by that front tyre I assume a sidecar is intended?

baxter

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
yes it belonged to Geoff Walsh of Canada, he installed a sidecar which i didn't purchase. Peter changed the front tyre and the position of the forks.

Attachments

• Vincent 008.jpg
    Vincent 008.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26

A_HRD

VOC Member
Hi Baxter, welcome to the VOC and to the Forum. Nice Rapide!

As others will tell you, there have been a variety of custom racks made over the years by a number of people and companies. There was an original Craven rack, a good solid one built by the late Phil Primmer, an excellent one produced about 30 years ago by West London Section Member Tony Wheatley - and vast numbers of one-off home produced ones. Mine is one of the Wheatley ones and I attach a photo or two which might inspire you to build one of your own. The seat is one of the 4 inch longer ones (the original got shorter over the years!). I had to lengthen this rack by that amount.

Hmmm, I can't seem to upload files at the moment - I'll try later…...

Peter B
Bristol, UK.
WANTED: Series 'A' Front Frame

A_HRD

VOC Member
Hi Peter,

Is that made to the specifications in Know Thy Beast?

Hi Ian,

I don't know with any certainty, but I suspect it was influenced by the KTB design. There are a lot of differences though, not least the carrier rack on the back - for which great care needs to be taken not to impede the movement of the lifting handle on the bump!

For Baxter: Note that with this design you will need to remove and carefully store away your friction damper legs. The seat will remain fixed and not bounce up and down on bumps. It is a far better ride - especially for the pillion passenger. If you need any dimensions, just ask (click on my avatar then "Start a Conversation" - that is a private message between you and me).

Peter B
Bristol, UK.
WANTED: Series 'A' Front Frame

Chris Launders

VOC Member
The one in KTB is for using with the seat still attached to the RFM, surely one with a fully sprung back end need not be as complex?
I am considering the possibility of something similar myself, would the springs need changing?
Chris.