my dads vincent

GrantAndrew

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi, my dad has a egli vincent he refers to it as a rapide 70 built from a kit supplied by roger slater in 1970. It has never been finished and i have pulled it out from under covers in the back of the garage today with the intention of finally getting it registered and roadworthy. It has only ever been ridden once up the road and back literally. It is in lovely condition but with some surface rust on the exhausts and a bit here and there but an easy fix.
My questions are how much would it need to be valued at for insurance? where should it be advertised if he decides to part with it (don't think he wants to but my mums a bit nervous of him riding as he has not ridden for about 40 years)
I cant see anything about these bikes being made in 1970 any infomation about it would be nice.
Thanks, Grant.

GrantAndrew

Non-VOC Member
he also has brand new never fitted craven paniers and top box for the bike and also a full faring all bought in 1970 but never fitted.
are these things sort after?

petermb998

Non-VOC Member
Hi Grant
Why not try and and get your dad into a local Training Scheme and do a session with them. A lot of training schools welcome born again riders.
It would be a great shame if your dad after spending all that money in the 70s and now when he feels that he would like to ride it a bit further then down the street and he does not get out to ride it.
Also join the Voc and he and you will get a lot of help with this bike.

This may help your mother in allowing your dad to get back on 2 wheels.
You never know with the Panners and Fairing fitted to the bike your mum may like it.
best of luck.

Peter Bromberg

GrantAndrew

Non-VOC Member
Hi Grant
Why not try and and get your dad into a local Training Scheme and do a session with them. A lot of training schools welcome born again riders.
It would be a great shame if your dad after spending all that money in the 70s and now when he feels that he would like to ride it a bit further then down the street and he does not get out to ride it.
Also join the Voc and he and you will get a lot of help with this bike.

Thanks for the reply. I agree i regularly go on rides on my bike and would love for him to come along. I definatly want him to get some use out of it while he can which is really why i'm helping to finish it off. I would love him to keep it and truth be known i think he will and maybe i'll be able to use it occasionally:)
I would like to find out what to insure it for as it needs adequate cover.

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Post some photo's Grant and we'll try to help

Grant,

Post a couple of photo's for us and we'll try and help.

Does the Vincent Owners Club know about the numbers on the bike (engine number, frame number etc as we try to maintain as complete records as we can?

If you could send me a private message (I'm assuming that your forum membership allows you to do that) then I'll try and help out with having the club registrar check the numbers of the bike and we may be able to tell you some of the history of the machine.

Also I'll give you some thoughts on where you could go for a valuation, or as I bought my own bike just 2 years ago I might be able to give you a flavour of what an insurance valuation might be.

Of course, insurance in intended to put you back in the situation you were before the incident - no better and no worse - so some photo's would be helpful. Often, if the bike has had work done, you can add the value of the parts assuming you have invoices but not the labour.

Look forward to hearing from you.

They are great fun to ride - you would enjoy it.

Stuart Metcalfe

GrantAndrew

Non-VOC Member
Grant,

Post a couple of photo's for us and we'll try and help.

Does the Vincent Owners Club know about the numbers on the bike (engine number, frame number etc as we try to maintain as complete records as we can?

If you could send me a private message (I'm assuming that your forum membership allows you to do that) then I'll try and help out with having the club registrar check the numbers of the bike and we may be able to tell you some of the history of the machine.

Also I'll give you some thoughts on where you could go for a valuation, or as I bought my own bike just 2 years ago I might be able to give you a flavour of what an insurance valuation might be.

Of course, insurance in intended to put you back in the situation you were before the incident - no better and no worse - so some photo's would be helpful. Often, if the bike has had work done, you can add the value of the parts assuming you have invoices but not the labour.

Look forward to hearing from you.

They are great fun to ride - you would enjoy it.

Stuart Metcalfe
Thanks for the reply i will try to put up some pictures over the weekend and i will also look for the frame/engine numbers.
It is a brand new bike bought by my dad in 1970 with reciepts to prove he's just never finished and put it on the road. There has been no work done as it is still as it was supplied.

GrantAndrew

Non-VOC Member
here are some photos of my dads bike and the brochure he got with it.
i hope these will help with insurance vaulations.
dad bike best front.jpg

dad bike tank & seat.jpg

dads bike brochure front.jpg

dads bike brochure specs.jpg

dads bike front.jpg