my dads vincent

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Oh dear - that brochure brings back memories and sends a chill down the back of my neck. I bought one of Slater's last Egli twins in 1974, looked very much like yours then, I had many problems with it, but I've still got it so it can't have been that bad!

I think the later ones were built by a different frame builder than his earlier ones (I think 1970 was the first year he built them), but just in case, check the fit of the bearings in the headstock and swinging arm. My swinging arm bearings could be dropped in from about 3 feet, and would wobble down into position - the bore was too big, and someone had dot punched the bore to get a grip on the bearing outer - that probably worked for about 50 yards before the bearings came loose and the back wheel took its own route around bends.

Good Luck.

GrantAndrew

Non-VOC Member
Hi Grant,

see attached Roger Slater catalogue from 1971 !!

Brian

Thats a bit clearer than the copy i photographed on my phone cheers.

My dad was under the impresson he ony made 40 to 50 examples. I dont know if that is correct but he is pretty sure.

vince998

VOC Member
Oh dear - that brochure brings back memories and sends a chill down the back of my neck. I bought one of Slater's last Egli twins in 1974, looked very much like yours then, I had many problems with it, but I've still got it so it can't have been that bad!

I think the later ones were built by a different frame builder than his earlier ones (I think 1970 was the first year he built them), but just in case, check the fit of the bearings in the headstock and swinging arm. My swinging arm bearings could be dropped in from about 3 feet, and would wobble down into position - the bore was too big, and someone had dot punched the bore to get a grip on the bearing outer - that probably worked for about 50 yards before the bearings came loose and the back wheel took its own route around bends.

Good Luck.

Also heard that all the steering heads on slater Eglis were off centre!!!!
Must of made for interesting times in combination with loose swingarm bearings

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Other Slater Egli problems

I was speaking to one of the Dutch section at the weekend (Must also say thanks to Jolanda, Vincent and the team) who has what was once a Slater Egli. His frame was so out of line he made a jig, and had Spondon re build the frame correctly. Spondon then made further frames to this jig.

Neil

Howard

VOC Member
Also heard that all the steering heads on slater Eglis were off centre!!!!
Must of made for interesting times in combination with loose swingarm bearings

Strangely, mine was ok in that department. I have had the swinging arm remade, and the frame rejigged, and the handling is good for a 60/70s design with narrow tyres.

It took longer to sort the Slater rebuilt "as new" engine, but that's a whole new story, and I suppose good quality spares were'nt as readily available then.