my dads vincent

GrantAndrew

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The most important thing to check would be the engine for internal corrosion. Even if there isn't any you would need to ensure that oil was applied to the various working parts before attempting to start it. Inject oil into the big end from the quill in the timing cover , timing gears , cams etc , rocker's and top end , few squirts down each plug hole the day before starting so that it can seep around the rings. Has it ever been registered ?

Thanks for the suggestions.
As far as starting the bike i do intend to check for corrosion where i can also to put oil down the plug holes and drain and refil with new oil. Then i was thinking of leaving the plugs out and bumping it down the hill he lives on a few times prior to thinking about firing it up.
It has never been registered. The bike was bought in a kit as described in the pictures of the brochure but my dad never finished it off so has never even been ridden on the road. It has 0 miles on fully rebuilt and refurbished engine and all the other parts were bought brand new all receipts are there to prove and are dated. The only ride it was ever used for was in 1979 when we moved house when my dad literally took it up the road and back probably 200 yards max. Since then it has been in the back of the garage all covered over and untouched.

GrantAndrew

Non-VOC Member
As far as registering it on the road we have all dated reciepts for it from 1971. I have been told i will have to probably get it mot'ed then take mot and all appropriate dated infomation to our local dvla office to allow it to be given an appropriate 1971 dated registration number.
Does anyone know if this is correct?

nkt267

VOC Member
Yes it will need to be m o t'd first.Book it in on the frame number, if there is one. If you are going to ride it there,make sure it is insured in your name .Trailering is better as Mr Plod does not like to see a bike without a reg number,although i've done it twice:D.
Check out the DVLA web site for the correct procedure.If you are a member of the club you can get a dating certificate for the engine to assist you prove that it is not a 'NEW' build and end up with a modern reg,if you become a member then the club most likely would help you process the claim.I got my number back this way..John

GrantAndrew

Non-VOC Member
Yes it will need to be m o t'd first.Book it in on the frame number, if there is one. If you are going to ride it there,make sure it is insured in your name .Trailering is better as Mr Plod does not like to see a bike without a reg number,although i've done it twice:D.
Check out the DVLA web site for the correct procedure.If you are a member of the club you can get a dating certificate for the engine to assist you prove that it is not a 'NEW' build and end up with a modern reg,if you become a member then the club most likely would help you process the claim.I got my number back this way..John

Thanks for the reply. It will be insured the biggest problem is knowing what to value it at as if anything did go wrong it would need cover.
As far as how to get there i will have to ride it.:D
I will look into full membership of the club.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
There was an Egli Rapide on ebay recently with a £30k start bid , although it didn't sell. Probably a good plan to contact a current Egli builder and find out a price and pitch it around that.

GrantAndrew

Non-VOC Member
Cool so 30k should maybe be ok as agreed value on the insurance.
My dad is going to be joining as a full member who do people use to insure?
Think the plan at the moment is to keep the bike and get it roadworthy and hopefully for us to get some use out of it. Its only right as its my dads dream bike thats been parked up for 37 years.
I can't wait to have a go.:D

GrantAndrew

Non-VOC Member
Grant,

Post a couple of photo's for us and we'll try and help.

Does the Vincent Owners Club know about the numbers on the bike (engine number, frame number etc as we try to maintain as complete records as we can?

If you could send me a private message (I'm assuming that your forum membership allows you to do that) then I'll try and help out with having the club registrar check the numbers of the bike and we may be able to tell you some of the history of the machine.

Also I'll give you some thoughts on where you could go for a valuation, or as I bought my own bike just 2 years ago I might be able to give you a flavour of what an insurance valuation might be.

Of course, insurance in intended to put you back in the situation you were before the incident - no better and no worse - so some photo's would be helpful. Often, if the bike has had work done, you can add the value of the parts assuming you have invoices but not the labour.

Look forward to hearing from you.

They are great fun to ride - you would enjoy it.

Stuart Metcalfe

Did you get my private messsage?
Any luck with history of the engine number?
What do you think of the pictures?

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Cool so 30k should maybe be ok as agreed value on the insurance.
My dad is going to be joining as a full member who do people use to insure?
Think the plan at the moment is to keep the bike and get it roadworthy and hopefully for us to get some use out of it. Its only right as its my dads dream bike thats been parked up for 37 years.
I can't wait to have a go.:D

Footman James & Carol Nash are the usual insurers for this sort of thing. Becoming a member of the club will mean a better quote.

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
Vincent shadow 70

Hi Grant,

see attached Roger Slater catalogue from 1971 !!

Brian

Attachments

• Slater Vincent catalogue 1971 p2.jpg
    Slater Vincent catalogue 1971 p2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Slater Vincent catalogue 1971 p1.jpg
    Slater Vincent catalogue 1971 p1.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 45

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Very good to see that , thanks for posting !! Look at those prices !! However , cheap may they appear now that would have been twice the price at least of any other large production bike of the time , and actually more than twice the price of a 750-4 Honda when first introduced ! Wonder how many were sold ?