My Dads old Vincent pictures

GrantAndrew

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Just thought i would share some pictures of my dads old bikes. I hope you like them and if anyone knows if they are still around i would love to hear from the owners. Dads AJS Porcupine with David Bates.jpgDads AJS Porcupine with Laura Bates sitting.jpgDads Vincent black prince.jpgDads Vincent black prince I-O-M 1957.jpgDads Vincent VHA 633.jpg
The first two pictures are of my dads old AJS registration 816 EHW not a Vincent (sorry) but still nice pictures. My dad is standing behind the bike in picture two.
Pictures three and four are my dads old Vincent black prince Registration SGX 136 in the forth picture my dads bike is being unloaded from the Isle of Man ferry in June 1957. He actually wrote "HORROR" on the back and i agree with him it looks scary.
The last picture is my dad sitting on one of his Vincent motorcycles registration VHA 633

Last edited:

Albervin

VOC Member
Great pictures Grant! Sadly the AJS is not a Porcupine, probably a 7R. I don't know how or why it has a registration as I am sure they were not fitted with lights or a horn? I am intrigued at the balance of the Prince, I wonder where the lifting points were.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Yes, its an AJS 7R - about 1955 I think - same year as the one I raced for years. I too had mine registered for the road. It enabled me to amble through the local town, with a cocoa-tin stuffed up the megaphone; then up the hill to where there were long straight country roads where I could do all the fine tuning - sans cocoa-tin. Dad would accompany me on his Rapide - but couldn't keep up once the 7R got on the cam... Happy days.

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

GrantAndrew

Non-VOC Member
The AJS was my dads race bike I think. It was used in the IOM TT races my dad didn't ride in it his friend rode for him and did quite well I think. My mum has the results somewhere. I think my dad did use it on the road but I don't know how often as he often had more than one bike at a time and I know he owned a Vincent at the same time (I think the black prince).

GrantAndrew

Non-VOC Member
My dad had the Vincent black prince from new and he really loved it. I have just found his petrol ration book for it and for his NSU quickly (I think). He use to get the fuel in the black prince and put it into his small bike to get better miles per gallon. It's nice finding things like this it is real history.

GrantAndrew

Non-VOC Member
Great pictures Grant! Sadly the AJS is not a Porcupine, probably a 7R. I don't know how or why it has a registration as I am sure they were not fitted with lights or a horn? I am intrigued at the balance of the Prince, I wonder where the lifting points were.
Thanks for correcting me. I think my dad had a porcupine at some point as well.

vibrac

VOC Member
1951 long stroke AJS 7R bought one from Monty and Ward in Twinkenham £50 including registration a bulb horn on the footrest and a goldie silencer ran it on the road for a year.Never needed to wear a leather jacket with studs riding that in a Barbour suit with my mate on his G45 gave us all the respect we needed.A whole year of starting it No wonder I was cut up when they stoped bump starts in Road Races...

John Cone

VOC Member
It was nice to see some pictures of my Prince early in its life, has anyone in the club layed claim to the other Vin yet?