My continuing woes with a 5 inch speedo - now 10 cables gone - help????????

clevtrev

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
So Vincents cannot be rolled back? I understood there were also problems with the electric starters? There goes my reversed gear project!
Rolling back with the starter, is not a problem if you put the bike into neutral. Why would you want to roll the bike backwards in gear with the clutch in ???????

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Not with the clutch in: but with a sidecar attached...

Unfortunately sidecar outfits do not have a handbrake, at least mine doesn't. Leaving it in gear on any slight incline is the only way to stop it rolling away. Pushing it from the front to the top of my garage drive was done by putting it in gear and holding the clutch in. Reaching the critical point the brake was applied and the clutch released and now being held in gear I was able to climb on the bike and then roll gently backwards into the garage. Now that it is fitted with an electric boot this is no longer possible. My solution is a rubber band cut from an inner tube dangling from the handlebar end mirror boss that can be quickly stretched over the brake lever so holding the front brake on.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I think Glenn Shriver has a hand brake lever with a pawl on it to act as a parking brake for his outfit. I'll ask him what he pinched it off of.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
From Glenn:

It's a Magura. (German?)
I could never find another--Munemichi needs one. I know he has done some research on the subject. Required in Japan for sidecar outfits.
I believe Magura makes a bazillion different types--maybe if you could get your hands on a Magura catalog???
Someone told me that some golf carts and maybe those quad things use something similar. Not being interested in either of those passtimes, I wouldn't know.
Good luck!
GS.

raygray

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi there are two types of angle drives at speedo head ,I belive early ones break cables when run backwards . I think they can be converted.

Must have read this someware , mabe Know your Beast.

Bikes wiyh Electric Leg can be wheeled backwards in nuetral gear.

Ray

jim burgess

VOC Member
I had lots of problems like this. Mine was caused by the length of inner going into the back of a speedo. It was 2mm too long, so when I tightened the knurled nut, it locked the inner into the back of the speedo, it turned, but with a lot of resistence. It took three cables at £26 each before I worked it out for number 4. Best of luck.
Jim

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
I had lots of problems like this. Mine was caused by the length of inner going into the back of a speedo. It was 2mm too long, so when I tightened the knurled nut, it locked the inner into the back of the speedo, it turned, but with a lot of resistence. It took three cables at £26 each before I worked it out for number 4. Best of luck.
Jim

Hi Jim,
I'd read about this and had checked it - and of course I have now snapped 10 cables so unlikely they were all made incorrectly ( and I tried two different outer lengths so they won't all have been made on the same jig I guess).
Part of my challenge is the intermittent nature of the fault - I rode 800 miles to and from the French Rally faultlessly and then the first 100 or so on the IoM before it snapped (again) then 2 in quick succession.
I have now stripped the angle drive at the speedo end and found four or five small shards of bright shiny metal in the grease. They shouldn't have been there and now the thing has been cleaned with stopquick till it sparkles and then assembled with fresh grease. JJ Cables have suggested I run the druve up in the vice with a drill for a while to test it - and are supplying me a short section of cable to do that with. I will give that a go. Then maybe I will run the cable assembly on the bike with the angle drive connected but not to the speedo and see how that goes.
Very very frustrating - especially as I recorded the entire Parade Lap with my high definition head camerac mounted to my helmet and the speedo registers zero, wella ctually that is not such a bad idea I guess as the lap was meant to be at 60mph!!
Cheers
Keep everyone posted as to progress.

Diogenes

Non-VOC Member
Sell it and fit a 3 inch Lightning speedo.
Lighter and much more reliable as it gets rid of that pesky gearbox.
And definitely a winner in the one-upmanship stakes.