PT: Exhaust Mute

ray vinmad

VOC Drawings Manager
VOC Member
This seems to have gone well off course!
Going back to Michael's original question, I have always thought of these as `Triumph mutes' from the 60's. I seem to remember a similar question being raised on here a long time ago.
Never tried one in a Comet, but we fitted one in the extended straight through pipe on Dave Butlers Parkin Twin back in 1970 to ride it up to, and thrash around the IOM during the TT that year....It made no perceptible difference to the noise/sound, so it was removed. Then again, a twin is much quieter on a straight through siamese pipe than a single anyway... Don't know why.
Probably wouldn't quieten a Comet much anyway. There do seem to be some `more modern' equivalents out there which may be worth trying.
Happy New Year,
Ray

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The reason the twin is quieter than the Comet may well be due to the fact its a Siamese system and the other pipe affects the output
see here:

kerry

VOC Member
Fireworks make far more noise than any Comets, and happen suddenly were as a bike approaches slowly giving a warning at least !

erik

VOC Member
If you lower the compression of the engine it will run smoother ,more quiet and with less power! Erik

erik

VOC Member
An other thing is if your camshaft timing is not 100% correct you can have a lot of noise on the exhaust with less power.

erik

VOC Member
I mean that the overlap of the camlobes should be at 4-5 degrees before top dead centre.This could be found by using the right slot for the woodruff key in the small idler on the crankshaft while you are meshuring the equal lift of the valves .I hope you know what I mean.May be someone else finds better words to explain .Regards Erik