Multiple barn find

NP5891

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello all, I am hoping you knowledgeable fellows can help me with something. I am prepared to cop a tonne of flac for this one, but better get a bashing on here than burn a big stack of money.

This is the story. My uncle many years ago found an old fellow out the back of nowhere with a shed full of bikes. My uncle purchased a few BSA's, AJS's and Nortons from him. He also had 3 Vincents. Over 15 years ago he wanted over 10K - 15K for each.

From what my uncle tells me one is an ex side car racer, with a chrome frame (apparently that is rare). One is an ex drag racing bike. One is a restored 'White lightning'. All are V-Twins as far as I know. From my research there is no such thing as a 'White lightning' , however could possibly be a White Shadow.

Are the ex race bikes worth anything? I am more interested in this so called 'white lightning'. If it is a white lightning it would be great. Even if it was a Rapide or something painted white I am sure it would be worth something.

I am planning on making a trip to see these machines myself in the next few months. The issue is the place is a very long way from me, very isolated, and I would probably need to make a decision on the spot. There will minimal time to go online and wait for answers regarding serial numbers etc.

What advice can you offer? I know my uncle is going to buy the sidecar as he believes it is very rare and worth quite a bit, but I am interested in this white machine. I'll be throwing a sizable chunk of money at this and don't want to get burnt.

Appreciate any help you can give.

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Assuming that all three bikes are post Second World War 1,000 cc ‘V’ twins with either a Vincent or HRD marking on the engine castings or on the fuel tank then they are all worth money and should be saved. Even if the ex-racers have lots of cycle parts missing then they are still worth money. Do not worry about the ‘white’ part of the name. It is unlikely to be painted white. It just means that it was probably a Rapide which has had the engine tuned to either Black Shadow or Black Lighting specification. The chrome frame will not be original and will either add to or detract from the value of the bike depending upon what it ends up being used for.
If you have the money then you should go prepared to buy and transport all three machines, even if you only want to sell them on at a profit. You should also ask if the present owner has any parts which have been taken off the racers when they were stripped down as these will also help someone to put them back on the road with as many original parts as possible. No one can tell you what they are worth without seeing them and you probably know some of the high prices that are being asked for, but not necessarily received, for Vincents at the present time. Even if the ex-racers have no original frame parts the engine/gearbox units are still worth a considerable amount so go for it. You might make some money and even if you don’t then at least you will have helped to save three more Vincents and that will earn you friends in the world of Vincents.

NP5891

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the reply timetraveller. I'll post up here when I know more. I was thinking something along the lines of what you were saying about the white shadow thing. Will only know when I see some numbers!

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Speaking of white vincents I am sure I remember seeing a white rapide/stieb outfit once, I think it was maybe Elvington in about 1970, it was obviously a club members as there were several club rally badges on the bike, Iv'e never seen a picture of the bike anywhere. Please someone tell me I didn't imagine it.
Chris.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Ten years back there was a vincent painted white at a museum on the mornington peninsula vic. said to be a white shadow,

Last edited:

Vince Farrell

VOC Member
Speaking of white vincents I am sure I remember seeing a white rapide/stieb outfit once, I think it was maybe Elvington in about 1970, it was obviously a club members as there were several club rally badges on the bike, Iv'e never seen a picture of the bike anywhere. Please someone tell me I didn't imagine it.
Chris.

Chris
You didn't imagine it, the outfit belonged (and was painted by) the late Tony Lloyd of Hull.

b'knighted

VOC Member
Ok Vince, run this past your memory.

I think that in the late seventies, at an annual rally near Bristol, possibly Doddington?, I saw an enclosed D painted white. Is this just the ramblings of a disturbed mind or will I remember the distant past more clearly once the oldtimers disease has taken firmer hold?

NP5891

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Ten years back there was a vincent painted white at a museum on the mornington peninsula vic. said to be a white shadow,

This is interesting as it seems that perhaps my uncle did not simply misunderstand what he was told - Just to confirm, there are no real 'white shadows'???

I find it more likely what timetraveller said - that it's probably a Rapide tuned to lighting specs or something similar. Was this a factory option, or something that people did aftermarket?

Dinny

VOC Member
There are White Shadows, I think 16 were built. They are Black Shadows with unpainted engines and so no white paint was used.

Black is painted, white is bare, we English like to confuse, you can tell by the engine number.

F10AB/1A/xxxx is a white shadow
F10AB/1B/xxxx is a black shadow

Cheers

Mark

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
In the sixties there was also a white painted and very smart Comet in the Hendon area of London. I only ever saw it parked and never met the owner.