Multiplate clutch

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The Vee Twos came with bronze friction plates, made to run dry. If you clean the plates, the clutch works ok for awhile, then gets very grabby until you clean it again.
I switched to Barnett Kevlar friction plates run in ATF.
Same as Howard, I fitted a gasket to the Clutch cover. I made the first one in heavy gasket paper. Now you can purchase much better gaskets in nitrile rubber over thin Al ( Cometic)
This change solved all the clutch problems. I've used the bike two up with luggage in stop start city traffic and the clutch never complained, very smooth and very light.
I would try that change before adding heavier springs.

Glen
I fitted the clutch to a friends Rap so I can't really comment on it since, but I think the plates were intended to run in oil, I don't think they were bronze so I suspect it was a V3 not a V2. After fitting the heavier duty springs the clutch was still light, and as far as I know it hasn't slipped since. It was nicer than my A65 conversion.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
My Vee two clutch basket is made of steel. I'm reasonably sure that the V3 clutch basket is made of Al.
Perhaps someone with a V3 will confirm.
I believe the V3 uses the same Kawi plates as the Vee two.
That plate was used by Kawasaki on a whole slew of models, dirt bikes etc, so it is a common item.

Glen

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
My Vee two clutch basket is made of steel. I'm reasonably sure that the V3 clutch basket is made of Al.
Perhaps someone with a V3 will confirm.
I believe the V3 uses the same Kawi plates as the Vee two.
That plate was used by Kawasaki on a whole slew of models, dirt bikes etc, so it is a common item.

Glen
In the Mighty Garage series of videos about his rapide, part 68 is about his V 3 clutch so shows from opening the box and should help with any identification. From my limited knowledge I believe they are Kawasaki plates

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I have just spoken with Neil Videan - the owner of the V3 business and he confirms Kawasaki ZX9R clutch plates. I have sent him a copy of the photo from this thread and waiting to hear back if that is one of his clutches.

CAUTION - The V3 clutches are two different variants designed to run WET or DRY but not both. You cannot run one designed to be wet, dry and visa versa

M

ernie

VOC Assistant Secretary
VOC Member
It is a V2. I bought one from Ron Kemp, one from Andy Davenport and three from VOCSC. It is based on a Ducati design and does take Harley Big Twin 98+ plates. Used in all our twins apart from the 1300 which came with a V3. I have always run mine dry with just a squirt of WD 40 on the plates at annual service. Done thousands of miles like that. Does get grabby if too dry. Like people really.

Bryan Lingard

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The Vee Twos came with bronze friction plates, made to run dry. If you clean the plates, the clutch works ok for awhile, then gets very grabby until you clean it again.
I switched to Barnett Kevlar friction plates run in ATF.
Same as Howard, I fitted a gasket to the Clutch cover. I made the first one in heavy gasket paper. Now you can purchase much better gaskets in nitrile rubber over thin Al ( Cometic)
This change solved all the clutch problems. I've used the bike two up with luggage in stop start city traffic and the clutch never complained, very smooth and very light.
I would try that change before adding heavier springs.

Glen
Hi Glen I've read so much on the multiplate clutch but your posting was the key to getting mine to work. After many tries and much thought I came to the conclusion that the clutch needs to be run wet. After researching the fluid used for wet clutches I came up with Motul Transoil 10w 30 gearbox oil wet clutch transmission fluid. I sealed the housing drain plus by taping it 1/4 BSF and fitting a screw in plug. I also drilled the side and tapped the same as an oil filling hole. I put in 40ml of the motul transmission fluid and went for a test ride. Amazing, the clutch is progressive and smooth as is gear changing. No slip up steep 1/10 hills. The bike is now a treat to use. The clutch is definitely running in oil as I left out the filling plug and started the bike. It threw oil out this hole with a vengeance. So now I know I have a wet clutch that frees well and is progressive to use. SUCCESS AT LAST. Bryan Lingard