Multiplate clutch

Bryan Lingard

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I am having serious problems with my multiplate clutch. I think I need new friction plates but no idea what clutch this is. I believe the plates to be Honda or Kawasaki but don't know. Attached is a picture , I hope someone can tell me what plates this uses and who made the clutch.
Best regards Bryan Lingard

Attachments

• DSC_020_BURST20210504221905.jpg
    DSC_020_BURST20210504221905.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 53

erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Have you dismantled the Clutch? are the frictionplates worn? Maybe the springs are weak?Please make a Foto without the plates. Erik

Howard

VOC Member
It looks like a V2 (V3 ?). I bought one from the Spares Co. a couple of years back. They should have spares.
H

Howard

VOC Member
I was running the clutch in oil, and it would slip with the original springs, the Spares Co supplied stronger springs and that sorted the problem.

Bryan Lingard

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I was running the clutch in oil, and it would slip with the original springs, the Spares Co supplied stronger springs and that sorted the problem.
Howard. Thank you so much for your reply. I will get some stronger springs if needed. I don't like the idea of having to dismantle the clutch to wipe oil on the plates. Not my idea of how a bike should be run. I have 22 bikes and solved all the clutch problems. I was very impressed how much lift i get on the clutch so that the basket stops rotating when pulled in and goes into first without any crunch. Just need to sort out the grab . The clutch looks very new and well made. No witness marks on the basket from the plates. The only problem is the bike does not have any history, so it a voyage of discovery.
Regards Bryan

Howard

VOC Member
Howard. Thank you so much for your reply. I will get some stronger springs if needed. I don't like the idea of having to dismantle the clutch to wipe oil on the plates. Not my idea of how a bike should be run. I have 22 bikes and solved all the clutch problems. I was very impressed how much lift i get on the clutch so that the basket stops rotating when pulled in and goes into first without any crunch. Just need to sort out the grab . The clutch looks very new and well made. No witness marks on the basket from the plates. The only problem is the bike does not have any history, so it a voyage of discovery.
Regards Bryan
When I said running in oil, I used a gasket on the clutch cover, removed the seal behind the clutch and drilled a couple of small holes behind the clutch so that the clutch would share oil with the primary chain case.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Howard, Can you have a look at Bryans Photos in New members bit,
You may know what type ?.
Cheers Bill.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
The Vee Twos came with bronze friction plates, made to run dry. If you clean the plates, the clutch works ok for awhile, then gets very grabby until you clean it again.
I switched to Barnett Kevlar friction plates run in ATF.
Same as Howard, I fitted a gasket to the Clutch cover. I made the first one in heavy gasket paper. Now you can purchase much better gaskets in nitrile rubber over thin Al ( Cometic)
This change solved all the clutch problems. I've used the bike two up with luggage in stop start city traffic and the clutch never complained, very smooth and very light.
I would try that change before adding heavier springs.

Glen