Multi plate clutch

pkrich

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi pretty new to Vincent’s
Resonantly acquired a 1950 transition rapid C. I have just about finished rebuild
But not to sure about clutch, just about every thing in the clutch is tired, so thinking of going down the multi plate clutch line curious as whose makes voc clutch and if any one has experience of it or if any one has other recommendations
pete

Bazlerker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The original clutch, fitted with the "Lightning" style bonded plate is a wonderful thing, once adjusted correctly..

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hi pretty new to Vincent’s
Resonantly acquired a 1950 transition rapid C. I have just about finished rebuild
But not to sure about clutch, just about every thing in the clutch is tired, so thinking of going down the multi plate clutch line curious as whose makes voc clutch and if any one has experience of it or if any one has other recommendations
pete
I've have tried a multi plate and an original Vincent clutch on my Rapide. I use and prefer the original Vincent clutch. (My personal view, other views are available.:)) Adjusted properly operation is very light and drive take up progressive. If the spring pressure on the plungers in the clutch shoes are too loose it can grab when setting off or slip if adjusted too tight. There are quite a lot of parts to it and you have to study it a while to figure out how it works.
If you have most of the original clutch it might be a good idea to first price up what new parts you might need. You might find it less expensive than buying a new multiplate. I had a new multiplate clutch with the bits of my basket case Rapide so that is what I fitted. When I checked the bits I had more carefully I found that I had virtually all the parts of an original clutch with just a few parts that were missing or needed replacing so that is what I'm using now.

pkrich

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Like I said most of the parts of the clutch have some wear so my thoughts were replace with multi plate as probably cheaper I have been advised as the original clutch is not so good in modern day traffic but not had any experience myself
pete

greg brillus

VOC Member
Having worked on many of both types......Rebuilding the original correctly will cost at least as much as a multi plate. The new multiplates are simple, easy to install and generally work well enough .........However, the original Vincent "Clutch lifting mechanism" was designed to lift "One" clutch plate and this in itself is a significant problem, because you need every possible amount of travel you can get to allow the new clutch to "Free off "or else you will suffer gear crunching on your first gear engagement. This has and will continue to be a problem for multi plates used in the twin engines. The only multi pates I have found to work ok are ones that run dry, where the oil does not cause drag between the plates. As others have said here, I too prefer the original Vincent servo clutch any day over a multi pate, but the complexity of the original design can be quite daunting to some unfamiliar to its operation. There are a lot of parts in an original clutch, but the two shoes are the part that take most of the rebuild cost and time. Cheers...............Greg.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I know this is sacrilege but has anyone tried fitting a different clutch lift mechanism to cope with a multi-plate clutch ?

Oldhaven

VOC Member
There has been talk of things like hydraulic systems and the like, but it is really a matter of incremental improvements to what is there. I went through this with my V3 and using the new internal clutch adjuster available now that is designed to help, plus the new G91, plus a lot of messing around with springs and plates, plus a longitudinally wound cable, has given me ( so far) a working multiplate system. the summary of sordid details is at:

http://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/index.php?threads/v3-clutch-drag.7708/page-2#post-70668

or you can go through the whole thread. The only thing to add since then is that I am running it dry now as Greg suggested , intending a yearly refreshing wipe of oil on the plates , and it helps. I know some here have had great success right away and no trouble but others have given up and gone back to the Vincent clutch.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Yes it is not an easy one..........Running the clutch wet creates a lot more drag on the plates, and running the same clutch dry can cause issues with overheating and then the clutch drags quite severely as well. As Ron said, I have found just wiping the plates with a coating of oil seems to be ok. The clutch housing on the twins holds very little oil anyway, and it quickly becomes contaminated, though an annual clean and fresh oil works fine. The Bob Newby clutch on the racer works very well, run dry of course, but it only has about 5 friction pates as well. The less plates the easier they seem to free off. To understand the lift issue, one only needs to compare the clutch lever in a Comet gearbox to see the difference in leverage.