Multi Plate Clutch - Which Type is it - Where to buy new Plates

Sebastian Huber

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Experts,

bought my Shadow with this clutch.
What brand or type is it and where to buy new plates (6pcs)?

Sebastian,
the Bavarian

Attachments

• P1090876.jpg
    P1090876.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 86

vibrac

VOC Member
those spring bolts look the same as the Conway clutch on the Comet Burman so perhaps its a Honda
But then my detailed bike knowlege only gets as far east as Germany

Sebastian Huber

VOC Member
Hello vibrac,

thanks for answer.
Got information that VOC Spares Company sells this plates.
Will ask a Honda Dealer. Would be nice to see if he can tell me type and price for plates.
My clutch has done about 10.000 miles and expect will come some more but want to be prepared for maintanace/replacement.

Sebastian

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Dear Sebastian,
Without seeing the clutch dismantled it is difficult to be specific. Notwithstanding what Vibrac has said it also looks like the clutch that the VOC Spares Company sell. Ian Savage at VOC Spares Company should be able to help you.

A_HRD

VOC Member
It looks like a V2 Australian clutch to me.

In which case early ones had bronze-like Ducati plates; later ones had Kawasaki fibre plates...

A photo of it partially stripped-down would help immensely.

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

van drenth

VOC Member
This one V2 clutch from Australia and the plates are Kevlar plates and can be ordered at V3 Products.( see the add in the MPH) I have the same clutch in mine BS for more than 14 years .
Regards,
van Drenth JC

Sebastian Huber

VOC Member
Hello All,

thank you very much for answers and inputs!
Ok, was a bit stupid this single photo. Regarded several times picture in add of V3 Products but by different front plate and 7 plates didn`t expect this is the one.
Mine has 6 plates.
Is this due to Version V2 ?
What experiences do yo have with some drops of oil on/in the friction plates ?
Mine (SAE 50 HD) nearly broke down.
Have done about 10.000 mls and regarding thickness of kevlar expect it should cover again at least the same distance.

Sebastian,
the Bavarian
P1090881.jpgP1090885.jpg

A_HRD

VOC Member
Sebastian,

Yes, that's a V2.

I find that mine likes a soaking in Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) every 500 miles (800Kms) or so. If I don't do this it gets lumpy and snatches. In fact, I have sealed-up my clutch-cover and drilled/tapped a drain plug so that the cover holds about 30ccs of ATF.

Make sure you get maximum movement of the clutch arm behind the kick-start cover by screwing in the adjuster on the kickstart cover until the top of the arm is touching the inspection cap hole nearest you. Ensure that the clutch pushrod is not in compression by slackening the clutch pressure-plate adjuster a little - and then screw it in until you can feel it just touch the pushrod. Back-off a quarter turn and tighten the locknut. And make sure there is still a little slack at the handlebar lever for the first few mms.

It looks to me like your clutch is good for many more thousands of miles....

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

Sebastian Huber

VOC Member
Hi Peter,

thanks a lot for this perfect advice!.
I found some traces of oil on the plates when dismantling and wonder it it should be there or not.
Thought first I have to renew Clutch Housing Seal PD 26/1 even can`t see any traces that oil may come this way what guides me to the question if it realy should work totaly dry.
Had no slip effect but felt that close to end of stroke handlebar lever reaches a block point in clutch mechanism. Think this was caused by wrong clutch arm adjustment.

Issues type and spare parts and if it should operate dry or not are perfect answered. :)
Thanks again to all guys!

Sebastian,
the Bavarian