Mugs and Motorcycles Etc.

mr.hutch

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I was very interested to read Ken Butler's letter in MPH 730, as I have a very similar item. It also was a present from one of the famly and comes under the rather unlikely name of " The Leonardo Collection ", although what the great man would have thought of the artwork can only be imagined.
Those responsible, I suspect, used a transparency as reference and simply flipped it over by mistake.
Long ago in another life I remember the rule that when handling cut film, glass plates, or transparencies the emulsion must face down in whatever holder is being used.
Another example can be found on the back cover of Duncan Wherrett's excelent "Vincent" book, where Nero is shown in reverse.
All this apart it's a very useful mug and holds three quarters of a pint of my favourie tipple. I wonder how many more such anomalies are out there? Not so much of a variant Ken, somebody just wasn't looking carefuly enough.

Go carefully mr.hutch :)

G

Graham Smith

It's also far too easy to flip digital images in today's world.

If you look at page 30 of MPH 730 (this month's), you'll find the image showing HRD in action.

In reality, this image has also been flipped, as I thought it looked better with the start flag reading the right way round!

I wonder if any of those houses still exist? If you want to go round Caerphilly looking for them, make sure you take a mirror to look at them!

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I was proofing MPH once and kept going back to a page that just didn't look right, but couldn't put my finger on it. Then the light went on. It was Neville on Jidnivik, printed from a negative we had scanned. The pipes were coming from the LH side. Not good, but caught in time.

deejay499

VOC Member
In an early Rider`s Handbook, the red one, was a picture of a Rapide that was back to front. In my early days of bikes, my brother convinced me that it was the continental model ! How gullible you are when young.
Mmmm - wonder if it is the one I have up the garage. I will look tomorrow.
Cheers, DJ

bmetcalf

VOC Member
In an early Rider`s Handbook, the red one, was a picture of a Rapide that was back to front. In my early days of bikes, my brother convinced me that it was the continental model ! How gullible you are when young.
Mmmm - wonder if it is the one I have up the garage. I will look tomorrow.
Cheers, DJ

Can you scan it and post it here?

piggywig

Non-VOC Member
The rare left hand Shadow

,Mirror Vincent.jpg
desktop

At least mother came out the right way.

Upstreeter

Non-VOC Member
I seem to recall there was even a 'reversal picture' in Big Sid's wonderful book, was it of 'the Rattler'?. It's easily done whilst at 'artwork' stage but I'm always amazed that these things find their way through to final production. I often 'hand' images in order to make a more satisfactory composition but have to be wary of the little details in the shot...signage, number plates etc...let alone exhaust pipes exiting on the wrong side!