Mudguards

Alan J

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Albervin, I bet you didn't pay 800 U.K. pounds for the mudguards! The problem is they won't be "original"[who cares?] I believe someone paid 4000 pounds for apara trooper's bicycle with all it's original "bits"![is the beard coming or going? you look just like me, or Fidel Castro!]

Albervin

VOC Member
Quite correct. When the Aussie dollar was equivalent to the Mexican Peso there was a movement to have some decent guards made here because the ones from the uK were rubbish regards fit & look. The wheels turned slowly & the dollar climbed but in the end the product was good & cost no more then the lesser product (plus freight plus duty plus tax). All happy here!

piggywig

Non-VOC Member
Well, not completely happy Alyn!
About three years ago I bought a pair of guards from "a well known Oz supplier', all nicely packaged. The large guard (FT148) had cracked on my bike, and for the last 50 years I have lived with both portions being different widths, so decided upon a new pair. The FT 148 was drilled and fitted, but upon opening the well wrapped FT149 it was very obvious that the two parts were quite different sizes, aucuate length (over the top)of the now fitted part 7-3/4". while the flap measured 8-1/16"! (K.T.B. states 7-1/4")
Not all was lost however, as in a worst case I could have had four different width pieces but luckily the flap I has just removed happened to be a correct match for the new FT148 now fitted, which meant only three different sizes, so by removing scratches etc. and much buffing, the old flap was pressed into service with no need for the tedious drilling process. The moral of the tale is to buy from U.K. unpack your order upon receipt and not wait two years to fit your new parts and find problems, or better still repair the old guard.
If anyone needs a rare 8-1/16" wide flap, look no further.
Col.

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Well, it must have cost a lot to have them polished that shiny..........

They were all original I understand, I know the seller and the bike they came off.

Where there are two people who want something, you have market demand - good for them.

Bet loads of lucky people in the club for some years didn't pay that for the whole bike....

Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Cheers, hope the rain stops tonight before my ride to the SGCM in Banbury in the morning.

gregk

New Forum User
VOC Member
Could you provide details of what the original dimensions were for Series C mudguards both front and rear, what alloy did you use, where the curved edges of the guards rolled wirh a wire reinforcement or merely folded over. Also details of who manufactured these items for you and the cost. Also was the radius of the rear guard changed between the B and C models when the latter swingarm was extended.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I have mentioned it before somewhere but if someone is prepared to let me know what form the various rollers, wheels and axles are then I am prepared to design and get made (and hardened if required) new items. I cannot do it without knowing about the machine which is used to do the job.

Albervin

VOC Member
Col, I too have had guards of varying measurements. At first I took issue with the supplier but then I found out who was making them & took them to task. Whilst I have not yet fitted my new guards I have made sure that they are all "matching". The side edges are wired but not the leading & trailing edges. The distance between perpendiculars for the rear pieces is 5 1/2". The "Semi - circumference" or external radius is 8 1/4". This does seem at odds with KTB so I would like to ask all those out there to measure your rear guards. It is all about the "look" of the radius matching the wheel. At the moment my SS rear guards "look" perfect because they match the tyre line perfectly and they don't have a big spacer between the FRM and the guard. Guess what? They are 5 5/8" between perpendiculars and 8" external radius. I would like to start a poll of rear mudguard dimensions.
Please give the distance between perpendiculars (side to side) and the radial or semi circumference measurement of your rear guard..

John Robinson

Forum User
VOC Member
For what it is worth, I have a set of full size drawings of the later Craven/Vincent side rails, stays and fittings, plus a near as dammit drawing of the later rack. This can be supplied as an attachment to an e-mail. I can also supply a cd of 'undreds of pictures of Craven items should it be necessary. I sold the Craven effects on to a well known purveyor of Ariel parts, but they seem to have no intention of producing any items in the near future. Making replica Silver Arrow pannier boxes will not be a cheap job, and I suspect that today a pair would have to retail at around £550 plus to make even a small profit. If made of GRP, the mould costs will be close to £2,500, and at least 50 pairs would need to be sold to break even, and no, I'm not going to do it!
ET43
Hi, I'm looking to get a pair of the long brackets that go from the wrack to the front of the seat on a series C Comet. I bought a set of used panniers and fittings but they had been on a series D so were missing the long brackets, they look a little like a long flattened 'W' I'd much appreciate a copy of the drawings so I can get some made.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
regards
John