MPH Binders...

The VOC Spares Company Limited

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
MPH Binders

We are about to order a new stock of MPH Binders and I thought it would be worth a discussion on the size.

The current binder is a corded type that was resized by Ray Smith some years ago and has 24 cords and is 65mm wide with the intention of holding 2 years of MPH. I recall Ray getting some flak for this at the time! As MPH has grown it now only holds 18 copies comfortably.

So the question is should we go back to a binder that holds 12 copies at about 45mm wide or 24 copies at 90mm wide. The cost for the 12 issue binder would be about the same as now approx £7, a 24 issue would be about £1 extra.

This really only applies to those of you who actually use binders for your MPH’s.

The alternative thought is not to bother with them any more as only about a 100 are sold annually so it seems only 4% of the Members use them?

Maybe the Forum master should start a poll on ‘What do you do with your MPH’s’.

Ian S

vibrac

VOC Member
Scan the whole lot then index it and charge a subscription fee
That will be nearly 8 feet of shelving I can reclaim

timetraveller

VOC Member
I bind mine but it is a struggle to get them all in so a 12 issue item for me. I normally buy about 5 at a time being an optimist!!

A_HRD

VOC Member
Yes, but surely a 2 year binder - an inch wider than the current one - at only a pound more than a 1 year one - makes huge economic sense to the extent that its a no-brainer!

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

b'knighted

VOC Member
I would like any future binders I buy to match the rows already on the shelves. I was not impressed when I bought new binders with round backs. The width is less important than the height and style. I do find that full, wide binders are heavy and less easy to open in the middle, so I would prefer annual binders.

Vic Youel

Non-VOC Member
Just wondering whether it is time to adopt an A4 size magazine..... much more room for good photos and I'm also wondering whether the mailing cost would be less as well. The AJS Matchless magazine in this format is an excellent production in my opinion.

Albervin

VOC Member
Vic, I would have to rebuild all my shelves if the format changed :). It make economic sense to have a 2 year binder but even with my old style wire type binders it is easier to remove the magazine to read it. It is time I bought some new ones so, if possible, can they be the same as those issued in the 1980s? They are 84 mm wide (3 1/4") and originally had 24 wires in them. I have issues 1-36 in one binder and then up until about 1975 I have 24 issues per binder. This was then reduced to 18 issues as they became thicker. I doubt I could get more than 12 issues in one so am perplexed that a new 24 issue binder would be only 10 mm wider. Any pictures available.

Last edited:

Diogenes

Non-VOC Member
MPH Binders

I would go for the 24 one Ihave my thirty odd years in binders but a decent index would be good.
Ray

"a decent index would be good."

According to a very reliable source, a "decent index" has already been prepared in digital format for easy searching on a computer.

It just requires authorisation to make it available to rank and file.

Do not hold your breath waiting for that.

Non-member.

Albervin

VOC Member
Only 32 votes from 275 views! Is this apathy or an indication that binders are not used by many members? If the binders have the year marked on the front then a quick look at "Forty Years On" or "Another 10 Years" will tell you where to find that technical article. Otherwise you set aside a bit of time to locate what you are looking for. People today have become lazy, relying on Google or forums to do the searching. I have just spent a couple of days looking for a slide of an event 30 years ago; in the process I entertained myself by seeing pictures of people and events from long ago. If the pictures were on my hard drive I could have found the one I wanted in 10 minutes and missed out on reliving all those memorable moments when I had a lot of hair (none of it grey), wore garish coloured clothing and was so much thinner!