Mounting tacho drive

Ray Bear

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Has the tacho drive ever sucsessfully been driven off the end of the dynamo drive therefore leaving the ATD insitu. It seems logical providing correct gearing can be obtained, and would not be difficult to attach a coupling to the dynamo and the angle drive to the cover plate ?? Bill

Last edited:

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think early MGBs did it that way. You could probably arrange it on a Comet but the twin dynamo is driven faster than the crankshaft so finding a suitable gearbox may be tricky.

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
In all my time at Cadwell Park during the HST days . i have never seen a rev counter driven from the dynamo. The Miller commutator end is far too fragile to accept any major surgery, and the Lucas component is not much better. However Australian engineers are are a very inventive group of people , so prove me wrong, why not use an electronic rev counter with inductive pickup, or have you already got a suitable rev counter head ? Ken

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Neville Higgins had a drive off his Prince dynamo cover years ago, he just had the instrument re-calerbrated.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Neville Higgins had a drive off his Prince dynamo cover years ago, he just had the instrument re-calerbrated.
There was a Rapide in the Harrow area in the 60's with a tacho drive off the dynamo cover. I only ever saw it parked and so I never met the owner. The cover was replaced by a thick flat dural plate (1/4"?) to accomodate the gearbox. There was also a photo of a similar set up on a Rapide in Motorcycle Mechanics of the same era, if memory serves me right.

davidd

VOC Member
There is at least one ignition available for Vincents that drives the tach off the other side of the distributor that leaves the ATD in place. Why not try that?

David

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
I guess this what you're thinking of.................... drive connector was made from a short length of box spanner that fitted over the dynamo sprocket nut !!
rev-counterfromdynamo.jpg

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I made a tacho drive like that for my G80 Matchy that I wanted to race, but never finished. I replaced the nut on the end of the cam snout with a long coupler nut with a drive fork in the end I carved with my Dremel.