mounting a degree wheel using a long soft metal mandrel

charles d cannon jr

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Having had to time my redone Shadow more times that I care to admit, I need some help with attaching the degree wheel. It's no problem with the timing side cover and exhaust off, of course, but I want to use the degree wheel with the timing cover on and the exhaust on. I have heard of inserting a brass mandrel or the like in the oil feed hole of the timing mainshaft with the quill removed. It would need to be long enough to clear the exhaust. I could have it locally fabricated.......Has anyone else done this or have a source for the item described? Thanks for any help, Charles Cannon

johnmead

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Clever Trevor makes and sells a spindle that slips into the quill area and allows you to attach a timing wheel or use one of his strobe timing discs.

John Mead

vibrac

VOC Member
A bit of 1/4 rod with a V small kink in it (I use part of an old brake rod) a couple of washers (I used an old valve spring cap) a couple of old 1/4 nuts and some superglue for the disc.
and if you are timing with cover off an old petrol tap in the filter chamber union hole a length of bent spoke with its nipple and a petrol pipe nut gives you the sweetest pointer you ever need...

never ever throw an old vincent part away

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
I have a length of 8mm rod, threaded at one end, to clamp the disc, with a taper at the other end to tap into the crank.
The drawing came from Paul Goff, so it may be worth an email to him.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I printed (yes printed) a timing disk that I downloaded from the net - use google - and made sure it was EXACTLY the same size as a CD disk.

I then stuck the trimmed printout onto the CD and on the back of the CD glued a wooden disk with a 1/4" central hole. One the glue had set I thenn gave the lot a couple of generous coats of clear varnish.

Here is the kicker - I then used a bamboo chopstick (which has a very gentle taper) inserted through the central 1/4" hole uin the centre of my constructed timing disk. I removed the oil quill from the crankshaft, timing side of the motor, and then inserted the chopstick complete with timing disk till it was just snug enough to ensure all rotated with the motor. I fabricated an indicator rod from a small right angled bracket and a length of maleable wire that, when checking timing, I secure UNDER the cylinder oil jet nut - OP40.

The great thing about all of this is once you have figured out - thru trial and error - the reguired length of the chop stick the whole arrangement knocks down into something you can easily carry.

Martyn

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
I have several degree wheel s and arbors , one has a long extension which slides into the timing side oil feed quill bore . This positions the degree when out beyond the cover and pipes . You can also time from the primary side of course . Sid .

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
To make one you can use over and over again and have in cental....position at the lenghty extension, i made an axle slightly undersise to the hole in the cranck, drilled it completely trough 3 mm then tapped the end to go in, with M4 for 10 mm. then split it for about 15-18 mm (used a small hacksaw) and use a set screw with inside hexagon with a very long allen key and when inserted, it expands where the thread stops, as you screw on it goes fixed in the cranck. otehr side to suit of course.
regards
Vincent brake speet

deejay499

VOC Member
Nothing so technical for me. A discarded plastic knitting needle, already nicely tapered, with a self tapping screw in the end to hold the disc in place. Has served me well for many years and is long enough to do with everything else in place. :)