Motorcycling roads in Scotland.

hooterman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Scotland

Hi Mark,Go for it, does'nt matter where you go in Scotland it's fantastic,We did Ullerpool,Stornaway,Butt of Lewis then all the way down the Outer Hebrides to Vatersay i.e. Northern most tip to the Southern most tip, lots of ferries and midges (Get your own tying down ropes though)

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Midgies

I have been told before that Skin-so-soft is a brand, not a product. There are at least three variants, only one of which discourages midgies (and, apparently Lousiana blackfly). The formulation depends on where it was made, rather like Marlboro cigarettes in the bad old days (when I smoked). UK Marlboro were actually Dutch, and US Marlboro were completely different. Neither of those worked on midgies, however, who seemed to think it was a diet supplement and couldn't get enough of it.

As Tracey and I have recommended, it does indeed appear to work. However my wife warns that she thinks Avon have changed the formula and the new one may not work. At least with the old one we assume it works by having a scent that either does not attract midges, or is one they do not like. It will not hurt to stock up on more than one remedy just in case.

overthehill

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Skin-so-soft is the business - I first saw it on a construction site near Plockton in September - (if you really want to see midges go to Plockton in September) - A squad of hairy ar**d, tatoo-covered, highland construction workers passing around a bottle of Avon skin-so-soft was one of those things you didn't see every day. - I've used it ever since and it does work (or rather does help - nothing completly works)

Dont worryabout ordering it from Avon - every shop, pub and petrol station (not many of these) up there sells it.

Last edited: