Motor Oil - Fossil or Synthetic

Buzz Kanter

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Because oil is one of the easiest things to check and change on a motorcycle and it has such an important task, I have to ask what oil(s) Vincent riders prefer and why?

Air cooled 4 stroke engines - fossil or synthetic? Straight weight or multi? Additives or ??

Let the arrows fly.;-)

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Multi Weight Synthetic rated for Diesel Engines..... Simply the best film strength and additive content available.... and, NO it won't leak out or, make multi plate clutches slip! I'll admit in a Vincent it is overkill and regular Diesel Rated Multi Weight is what I use in the Vins. I save the Synthetic for hard working, highly stressed engines like the 454" Chevrolet in our Motorhome or the little 93A in our Morgan Trike.

Cheers, John

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
Ok - how about this..... In my opinion the best oil is castor. Morris do a nice MLR40 weight and I see no wear in all the usual places. Just thought I'd introduce the 'third' parameter, vegetable oil, to Buzz's list of possabilities. To temper my suggestion, the use of your bike determines what is 'best' so everyone will be right with their comments. Cheers David

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Hi David,
I can't argue how good Castor Oil is, but.... within the last month a really sharp Vincent guy, who was also a Canadian National Champion Road Racer (whom shouldn't be too hard to figure out) , told me that when they came out with degummed castor oil it really wasn't Castor Oil but the first Synthetic Oil. Was he having me on? I don't know. Does anyone here know if it's true or not?
Curious, John

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Because oil is one of the easiest things to check and change on a motorcycle and it has such an important task, I have to ask what oil(s) Vincent riders prefer and why?

Air cooled 4 stroke engines - fossil or synthetic? Straight weight or multi? Additives or ??

Let the arrows fly.;-)

Oh goody, an oil thread .... yawn.

Let us be realistic about this:

1. Most modern oil is going to be at least as good or better than what was used back when Tony Rose was able to do his colossal mileage in one year on a Vincent.

2. A very high percentage of Vincent Motor cycles that are still roadworthy don't even do enough road miles in a year to get to the oil change interval so wear isn't going to be a problem anyway.

(Apologies to owners who, for a good reason, aren't able to ride their bikes.)

I'm with John on this one when he says, "regular Diesel Rated Multi Weight" and I suggest that most reasonably priced multi grade oils will do and if it is reasonably priced it is cheap to change.

If you are talking about racing then maybe that is a different matter. Doesn't Castor oil give the exhaust a wonderfully emotive vintage racing aroma?:)

More arrows anyone?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello All, Some years ago our top race man Don A, Had an oil man come round to his house and do all sorts of tests and had to say we should not use Synthetic oil on Vins, It is too slippy ! Ie old engines Big gaps. Most of use use single grade 40 in summer 30 in winter. Some times I get lazy and use car multi, 2 years ago my Comet was smoking too much and I thought I was going to have to spend money, went back to 40 oil = Much better, Put off rebuild for another 2 years !!. All The Best Bill.

Howard

VOC Member
Oh dear Buzz. Has no one told you not to ask questions like this? The answers could take up all the available web space, probably two different oils per Vincent Owner.

20/50 non synthetic for me.

H

ps sometimes I've used 15/40, but usually return to 20/50 when available.

Buzz Kanter

Non-VOC Member
Oh dear Buzz. Has no one told you not to ask questions like this? The answers could take up all the available web space, probably two different oils per Vincent Owner.

20/50 non synthetic for me.

H

ps sometimes I've used 15/40, but usually return to 20/50 when available.

Yes, I figured it would be a hot button topic but was curious if it was as well debated with Vincent owners as owner of other motorcycle brands. :)