MOT for travel to Europe

Kevin Emery

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello., I intend to travel to Europe this summer. I am based in the UK. My Vincent twin is classified as a Classic and as such does not need tax or an MOT. If I travel to Europe do I need to put an MOT on it.
Thank you
Kevin

Alan J

VOC Member
I don't think so, most police abroad check your driving licence and insurance- you had better print it out before you go as many companies don't send you paper certificates any more! Plus important to carry your log. Book, I saw a chap refused entry into Estonia as he had not got it with him!

G

Graham Smith

I didn’t have an MOT on my bike when I took it to the International Rally in Austria last year.

Alan J

VOC Member
My view for what it is worth. Just because your bike does not require an MOT does not mean you should not get one. The tester might spot something that you have missed.
Russel, 6 times £30 every year is a lot of money for some very old bikes that do a minimal mileage!

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I used to dread the annual MOT test coming round, especially when every old-timer MOT tester around these parts either retired or died, the last one I used was a younger man, but he appreciated such things as inadequate brakes and wheel rim float, and I do think that if you own and ride a Vincent, or any old bike for that matter, you really should be able to judge whether your bike is road worthy or not, starting with tyres, spokes, wheel bearings, brakes, frame bearings, lights, horn, etc. but even back then, one of the old boys I use to use, John Lipscomb of Burnham took the trouble to tell me during one test that my footrest rubbers were quite worn and that he could fail it on that, but decided just to advise me to replace them.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
your still in EU for that matter,

so do as is in ur country needed/required, than can ride all EU over, is my take on it.

when out of EU is a totally diffrnt matter....

oh oh i started it....

Kevin Emery

VOC Member
Thank you for your opinions. But, I am trying to find out what the legal position is.
French Motorcycles in France do not require an MOT. I have checked many web sites some say you need an MOT to travel in France (but doesn't explain why) some do not mention MOT's being a relevant document. None of the websites cover UK bikes that are classed as Historic.
So just because French motorcycles don't require an MOT doesn't mean that mine doesn't when I travel there.
This appears to be an area of the law which is unclear. I don't want to be in the position of having to argue the point with a French policeman who is trying to give me an on-the-spot-fine.
Does anyone know what the legal position is?
Thank you.