MoT exemption for 40-year-old vehicles

bsg017

New Forum User
VOC Member
Here is a tangential set of questions about an historic motorcycle and a small sidecar
a. for the 40 year rule is fitting a sidecar a substantial change? after all you are changing the wheel plan
b. Should you tell the dvla if you fit a sidecar or take it off (something I have done frequently with a trials sidecar)
c. according to some sidecar web sites and a man I spoke to who makes 'trolly' wheels to carry motorcycles that fit on the back of motor homes and caravans if the sidecar is attached without tools (like a trailer) then its an accessory and you need not tell DVLA, is that true?

(If it is true I shall have to get inventive with my connections)

Of course you need to tell your insurance company but what a complex web!
That is a complication that I had not considered as I believe that my Rapide was last used as a sidecar machine. (I have always been aware of a potential need to reset the girdraulics appropriately before the restored bike could be ridden as a solo machine). Not surprisingly, to save space, the sidecar was removed before the bike was laid-up by the previous owner.

Hugo Myatt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
This is a minefield. Over the 50 years of ownership of my Rapide I have had sidecars fitted on and off many times. The rule was that each time a sidecar was fitted the registration document had to be changed from solo motorcycle to motorcycle combination. On removing the sidcar the registration document had to be changed back to solo motorcycle. However about ten years ago when I fitted the sidecar on a permanent basis I sent off the registration book to have it altered to sidecar combination as I had always done before. This opened up a can of worms. The DVLA did not recognise this cataegory and assumed that I had created a trike and demanded a full engineers report on the modifications. It took a great deal of persuading them that I had not re-engineered the bike and had merely fitted a sidecar. (I was never quite sure they actually comprehended the concept of a sidecar). It appears that a sidecar is considered as an accessory and does not require re-registering as such so the registration book can remain as simply 'motorcycle'. Insurance companies, of course, are a different matter.

vibrac

VOC Member
according to website three wheels better threewheelsbetter.uk after an e-mail enquiry
you don't need to inform the dvla regarding any sidecar fitment to any motorcycle regardless of tax status.
While that is not official its about as good as I can find out 'sidecar' seems to be a lost description I know what happened when the Comet Trials outfit broke down and silly me called it a motorcycle and side car when I called the AA and they turned up with a solo motorcycle carrier on a van I shall say three wheeler next time if it ever happens.
So one can only hope that the 'accessory description holds with the 40 year old rule certainly the same word was used by the 'trolly' wheel seller'

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Quick addenda. Regarding the DVLA and sidecars whatever you do do not describe it as a two track vehicle or state number of wheels 3. Just stick to motorcycle.

vibrac

VOC Member
And another point
In 12 months time 8 April to be precise no motorcycle registered before 1 July 2007 can ride into central London without being charged £12.50 a day EXCEPT Historic vehicles there is a sunset clause for inmates of London with Eglis and Norvins etc of questionable parentage as the cheif warder Khan says you have till 2022, enjoy:mad:

vibrac

VOC Member
Two interesting items from Hagerty Insurance just now, guidance on the new rules

What constitutes ‘40 years old’?

40 years from the day it was first registered. So, if a car was first registered on 31st May 1978, it could be exempt from 31st May 2018. This is a rolling date. Note that previously historic tax was from the date of manufacture, which could be significantly different.

Now did I miss that before? registered not manufactured thats a big difference getting an age related number or a not, A manufactured date will cut no parsnips.

and then

Vehicles other than cars

At the moment, the May 2018 exemption for VHI does not apply to motorcycles. Guidance on bikes will be issued separately in the future. Historic lorries, coaches, kit cars and similar are not exempt from the MOT check.

Wow we shall be close to the line then.... (VHI= Vehicles of Historic interest)

Full info
https://www.hagertyinsurance.co.uk/...-articles/2018/04/23/2018-changes-to-the-mot?

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Well basically Hagerty are wrong on both points. On the Hagerty website it even has a link to the UK government guidance and that Goverment guidance says:

"Most vehicles manufactured or first registered over 40 years ago will, as of 20 May 2018, be exempt from periodic testing unless they have been substantially changed"

Further down the goverment document it says:
"From 20 May 2018, at the point of taxing a vehicle, the vehicle keeper can declare their vehicle exempt from MOT if it was constructed more than 40 years ago."

The government guidance also says the criteria for substancial change such as axles etc does not cover motorcycles, but further down motorcycles are covered for other things. So it does effect motorcycles, but not as much as cars.

See:
https://assets.publishing.service.g...ical-interest-substantial-change-guidance.pdf

vibrac

VOC Member
Thank you I thought it was worth repeating because it would have very important effects on reconstructed imported and ex competition machines
It is very worring when misinformation is mixed with poor official definitions and those who will adjudicate on results of accidents get things wrong
And don't forget Haggerty have always in my opinion been one of the good guys and at least are trying to get to grips with it all I don't see any other of the big players trying very hard and the remains of the classic and main Streem press are very silent

Last edited:

Bob

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I just taxed my 1973 pickup with no mot. It took 5 minutes on-line, just tick the box to say it's original or hasn't been modified in the last 30 years. Easy-Peasy!