MoT exemption for 40-year-old vehicles

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Continuing the worry of what will happen to the non-VHI machines, is perhaps the rather less important question: will only VHI be allowed zero road tax?

Chris Launders

VOC Member
If I had to MOT and pay road tax on my Norvin would I stop using it and get rid of it. Silly question really, I'd probably use it more to get my monies worth !!

vibrac

VOC Member
* What constitutes a special? at what point is a machine factory made? my Difazio was manufactured and sold as were 50 others at Jack Difazios garage in Frome I have the sales brochure. has it been modified since 1988? No. But apart from the front wheel and forks its a R75/6 BMW. How about the Vincents made by Harpers in the early sixties or the other Vincents made in small numbers from old and new parts and sold complete ( I am not talking home assembly ) what abut complete Slater Eglis Egli Eglis Parkin Godet Vincents etc I have some sales brochure for some of them, sold as complete (and some still are!) those were not/are not back yard self assembly jobs where do they fit in? are they not factory produced?

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Vibrac
It all depends on what the DVLA recognises as a manufacturer and if it is listed on their computers as such. I know recently a UK owner of a brand new Godet Egli had trouble registering it as the DVLA didn't recognise Godet as a manufacturer. They wanted to give it a Q plate. What the final decision was I don't know as I wasn't involved.
Thats an argument an owner would have to have with the DVLA.

vibrac

VOC Member
In this desert of information another thought came to me -those in the 'grey area' could all be struggling in the wrong direction! it could be that VHI machines once identified could get a Australian? style restriction 250 miles radius and organised events only while the MOT reconstructed classics have full freedom (excepting major cities soon) Who knows? we are obviously all real criminals who deserve all this legislation to control us

Colin

VOC Member
We will NEVER know the true situation in all of this. My experience of the DVLA is they don't know their arse from their elbow on ANYTHING current, let alone anything proposed for the future. I won't post my problems with them here, but if you fancy an hour or two of vitriolic raving just ask me for my list of their mistakes!!

bsg017

New Forum User
VOC Member
I have a slightly different problem. I have a basket case D Rapide which had (still has) a seized engine when I was given it in 1989, and had not been taxed since 1969. In 1989, the DVLC were not interested in my notification of a change of ownership until I could tell them it was roadworthy. I have all the original papers and have known the bike since 1956 when I was an occasional passenger. How do I decide if it counts as a vehicle of historic interest in anticipation of an ultimate rebuild with rusty parts replaced?

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I have a slightly different problem. I have a basket case D Rapide which had (still has) a seized engine when I was given it in 1989, and had not been taxed since 1969. In 1989, the DVLC were not interested in my notification of a change of ownership until I could tell them it was roadworthy. I have all the original papers and have known the bike since 1956 when I was an occasional passenger. How do I decide if it counts as a vehicle of historic interest in anticipation of an ultimate rebuild with rusty parts replaced?
It's down to the description.
A rebuilt vehicle is when an owner starts with basically a complete bike which is then restored or rebuilt replacing rusty, worn serviceable parts as required. I.e. Engine internals, wheel rims, exhaust etc. As long as the identity has not changed in that it's the same engine, frame, gearbox, forks etc as it was 30 years ago then you are not a reconstructed vehicle.

A reconstructed vehicle is something that on owner has created within the last 30 years that may look correct but which is a collection of parts sourced from all over the place to create a vehicle. I.e. the classic story of "I started with a fuel cap and built this bike from what I could gather".

I suspect your series D falls into the first description. If your still not sure, then to cover yourself, subject the bike to a voluntary mot. This is after you gave got the bike ready for use on the road though.

Whether a vehicle is reconstructed or not only effects it's MOT exemption (or not) position. It has absolutely nothing to do with historic taxation class which is a separate matter completely.

vibrac

VOC Member
Here is a tangential set of questions about an historic motorcycle and a small sidecar
a. for the 40 year rule is fitting a sidecar a substantial change? after all you are changing the wheel plan
b. Should you tell the dvla if you fit a sidecar or take it off (something I have done frequently with a trials sidecar)
c. according to some sidecar web sites and a man I spoke to who makes 'trolly' wheels to carry motorcycles that fit on the back of motor homes and caravans if the sidecar is attached without tools (like a trailer) then its an accessory and you need not tell DVLA, is that true?

(If it is true I shall have to get inventive with my connections)
Of course you need to tell your insurance company but what a complex web!