MOT attention Vibrac

david bowen

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Vibrac some weeks back said he use to go to a small workshop to have his MOT done in Bedfordshire Cotton End I think, if it was the same place I use to go to it was run by Albert Wallis, and in the workshop there were always Brough Superiors, BS 4, Golden Dream, SS100 about 5 I have been told to day that his son John still has these bikes and he is the Chairman of the Brough Superior Club

vibrac

VOC Member
I am not guilty of that claim my mot station of choice is on a Buckinghamshire chicken farm but I do know of who
you speak I once followed the 2wheeled brough back from cadwell using alternate wheels on the corners...yes he was solo

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Chrislaun what age would John Wallis be, Albert his father would have been in his sixtys when he use to do my MOTs

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Hi David
I think John is around 63, not sure exactly (I seem to remember Albert gave him his first Brough in 1973 when he was 21, last year he rode all round Britain on it ) I had a couple of hours with him at the BSC annual rally lasy year.

Chris.

hadronuk

VOC Member
Mr Wallis used to MOT my C15 in the 1960s, on the front drive of his bungalow. I was always rather nervous, as he took a very dim view of poor workmanship. He was particularly scathing about a safety pin as a substitute for a split pin. "Haven't they got any split pins where you live?" Well no actually, that's why I used it......... At the time, I don't think I even knew where to buy split pins.
I remember having a close look at his Brough outfit with the twin rear wheels and the Austin 7 engine.
He later skimmed the drum in a friends Dommie 88 front wheel. It was still oval afterwards.

b'knighted

VOC Member
Before I moved to the West Country my MoT man was an ex-AMC Norton man from the Plumstead factory. He would stand back and look at a bike, then home in on the one bit that needed his attention. He always checked wheel alignment by kneeling and sighting across both wheels from the front.

One time I went in and he told me about a previous customer who had asked why he always sniffed the front tyre.