More Vincent at Silodrome

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The Silodrome site that StepXL linked to looked interesting. This page looks intriguing. I have seen the pic before, maybe here. There was controversy if it was photo-shopped, but the rider wasn't named. I don't think Surtees was a knee dragger, especially at 15 yo. Duct tape for the knee and lace up boots seem out of place, too. Also, that bike looks a lot more Shadow than Jack Surtees Lightning.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Bruce, Was that the bike Chas Guy was killed on, He owned Conways at one time ? Cheers Bill.

davidd

VOC Member
Bruce,

You did see this in another post. As I remember, this is a member's bike and he knew the rider. I do not remember the subject of the post.

David

Albervin

VOC Member
The Silodrome site that StepXL linked to looked interesting. This page looks intriguing. I have seen the pic before, maybe here. There was controversy if it was photo-shopped, but the rider wasn't named. I don't think Surtees was a knee dragger, especially at 15 yo. Duct tape for the knee and lace up boots seem out of place, too. Also, that bike looks a lot more Shadow than Jack Surtees Lightning.
I can't see a link to what you are describing.

grahamsharrock

Non-VOC Member
I have a poster of that from Performance Bikes magazine from 1988. I think the rider was Mark Forsyth.
images

Lots of websites still say it's John Surtees.
See Mark talk about it here - http://www.visordown.com/mark-forsyths-blog/john-surtees-obe-an-official-apology/17385.html

Graham

Last edited:

Peter Holmes

VOC Member

Hmmmm, Not at all convinced that the rider is John Surtees, does not look at all like him as a young man and is definitely not consistent with the riding style of that era, I don't remember any of the top riders of the day, Duke, Hailwood, Agostini, Minter etc, gaffer taping knee sliders on, I stand to be corrected.