More on stainless mudguard

derek

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
After days of tring to get the correct fitting of my front guard, I had to return it to the VOC Co., as the profile of one side was 1/2" out. The checked the others they had from the same order, and found them worse than that supplied to me. They are to return them to the manufacturer.
So once again no mudguards.
DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A SUPPLY IN THE WORLD??:mad:

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Mudguards

Not a problem, just knock a set up from old Landrover panels, it's the same ally, "Birmabright". It might as well be unobtanium.

My Shadow left the factory with black-painted steel mudguards, the same section as the ally ones. Ally ones were fitted later but I still have the steel ones. I assume that in early 1951 Vincent were having the same problem finding ally ones as we are now.
However, if desperate, one might source steel ones (Armours?), paint them, and make up a story.....

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Aluminium in the Birmabright spec can be obtained. I have the composition somewhere , will try and dig it out. From memory it has more strength and resistance to oxidation than common ali sheet.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
OK , found it !!
Birmabright

92 % Aluminium 7 % Molybdenum 1 % Manganese

only problem is , this is just 1 spec , there were 4 !! I'll dig a bit more !!

clevtrev

VOC Member
No , thats not the one , but I have found what I think is the correct version. Now checking availability.

The original was Birmabright BB2. Today that SAME composition is 5251.
Used every day in my workshop, and thousands of others.
Nothing exiting about Birmabright, it`s just the name of the supplier, they could have used British Aluminium Co. - BA21, Alcoa - 510, HDA Forgings - Hiduminium -22, Alcan - GB- M57S. All producing companies of the Vincent era producing the same product under their own name.
This from me who was using all of this in the Aircraft industry at the same time as your bikes were being built.

derek

VOC Member
stainless guards

Thanks for all of the replies, yes the original material is readily availably, so why is it not used. Sorry to disapoint but auto-cycle supplier is the one were VOCSC did get their guards including recently (the one I have returned) and having checked all of theirs they are returning them as not suitable.It is unbelievable that no one can correctly make such a simple item. Ther is a great need out there judging by contacts I have had.:eek:

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
Stainless guards

the original toolling for guards is worn out.Particularly SS. there used to be only one supplier in the world. The formers for making same cost in GBP tens of thousands. Autocycle have obviously not made the investement. The question is should the VOCSC ?