More on stainless mudguard

Tnecniv Edipar

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
**** NEWS FLASH****
A little bird has told me that the Spares Company is on this issue as we speak , so might be wise to wait before we start the ball rolling seriously !

timetraveller

VOC Member
I am confused, Nothing new there I hear you mutter. Ignoring modern low profile tyres aren't all Vincent wheels the same diameter? Front 300 x 20 = 26, front 3.50 x 19 = 26. rear 3.50 x 19 = 26. rear 4.00 x 18 = 26. I do not know how the sizes of mudguards are specified but I would always want at least a good inch of clearance between the tyre and the nuts inside the mudguard at the front. At the rear, as the wheel can move backward and forward for chain adjustment then one needs more than that. The mudguard should preferably always be wider than the tyre, otherwise its not much of a mudguard. So on the front I would expect the maximum radius of the mudguard to be 13 + 1.5 minimum, i.e. 14.5+ so how do Tom's values relate to these figures? Perhaps it is the radius of the inner/lower edge of the mudguard but if it is then we have to have mudguards which are of different sizes for each wheel rim diameter. Then do we have to have different radii to allow for different sized tyres? OOOHHHHH!! My brain hurts. :confused:

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Of course all that knowledge is lost, now....

I report what in the 1960's was common knowledge. and was quite possibly known to Vincent. The "proof" is that many Vincents with stainless guards look every bit as naff as bikes with "same size ally" guards did 40 years ago.
Vincents with Vincent guards look to me right, most Vincent with replacement stainless guards look as though the front is too big. I have Birmabrights (Birmabrites?) on my bike, and in reserve a set of black steel guards (same section) that the bike left the factory with, so am not a potential customer. I merely share my observation, not apparently unique, that current replacement stainless guards don't look right, particularly at the front, which appears to be too large a radius.