molasses in the gas tank

ClassicBiker

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
American 1/4" npt is 18 tpi, 1/4" bsp is 19 tpi.

American npt tapers at a rate of 3/4 of an inch per foot (1 in 16). BSP is a parallel thread also referred to as British Gas, British Pipe Parallel or Parallel Fastening thread. Various Symbols: BSP, BSPP, BSSPI, BSPF, BSPG, PS, R, G. British Standard Pipe - Taper -BSPT also referred to as British Standard Taper Pipe or Pipe Taper, or Conical Thread. Also Taper is 3/4" taper per foot ( 1 in 16 on the diameter) Various Symbols: BSPT, BSPTr, PT, KR, Rc.
Bottom line I don't think I would try and fit an American 1/4" npt fitting in to a Vincent tank unless I either made something to adapt the threads (which I've considered) or do a some surgery on the tank and fit an appropriate tapered bung.
Steven

vince998

VOC Member
I use the fuel taps from this guy http://www.britishbikeconnection.com/.
Fitted many moons ago and never had a problem since. Always dry, always turn (unlike the bloody brass taper ones you can buy) and are totally rebuildable (although they are fitted with ethanol proof viton seals so shouldn´t need re-building). They look good on the bike as well.
You even get one with a screw in extension tube (that fits inside the filter) so you can set your desired reserve level.

Attachments

• Petcock.jpg
    Petcock.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

vincenttwin

VOC Member
use a 1 11/16" socket and a long extension and a good handle and cut a block of wood the height of the extension from the ground and rest it on it and you will be able to give it all the leverage you need with out it slipping off and if you need you can hit the handle with an large hammer.

aaronabutt

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks Bob. I have some tools now! ordered the new gastaps. I am not of the inclination to send my bike to Ontario or anywhere else where I cannot be with it at all times and see what people are doing. If I can't learn from the repair its useless to me the next time. I am dealing with very minor delays in the starting of this bike and it shouldn't be too long now!

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Aaron- congrats on getting tools..I understand wanting to be there and watch while your bike is restored so you can learn..I had the same feelings when Dr.White restored my Rapide in the mid 80's..but I assure you its the best way simply because your bike will be ready to ride in the shortest possible time, and the work required to get it to that point will have been done by an expert. If you have any questions regarding the ethics or trustworthiness of the folks I recommended- fear not as they are all of the highest character.

Phil Baker

Non-VOC Member
Yes, I've just used SLOSH to seal a Velocette Viper tank that had pinprick hole problems and it has done the job - no leaks (had to fit new taps, though, as the corks in the originals were knackered and new corks did not solve the problem).

Phil

The dreaded ethanol

this is informative:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfZgDkRwAUk&noredirect=1

Here in the UK I recommend SLOSH to seal the tank