Mods Being Made For The Vincent

C

carlhungness@verizon.net

Hi: I want to compile a list of Modifications that are actually being made, and sold for our Vincents. I think such a list should be published annually in the MPH. Michael Breeding makes a great set of propstands for the Vincent, never advertised. John McDougal makes a wonderful Kubota alternator kit and has sold over 100 of them with no reported problems, never advertised. The Kemp family makes everything from longer kickstart shafts to a clutch rod kit to rocker feed bolts and one hs to wade through their massive parts list to try and find them. Maughan's makes a kickstarter shaft as well and I am told Trevor Southwell does too. We don't see these modifications advertised, and word of mouth means you have to be in the in-crowd to find out about them. That does not help the new member at all. If you will send me the mods you know about, including price, part number, e mail address, phone, etc. I will compile a list and try to get it pubished in the MPH. Thanks, Carl Hungness

VinParts

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Vincent Parts.

Copy of an email that I sent to Carl today.

Carl,

Having looked at your last email on this subject I thought that I would drop you some facts.

G83L, 1/4" longer K/S shaft, made by Vinparts.

Low expansion pistons. Exhaust lifter seal kits. Clutch rod kit. Multi plate clutch (that does NOT need a deeper cover). Lead free valves. G23 Lock washer. Et100/1 Rocker feed bolt. Eli trunk kit. ET27SP. Crankshaft seal kit.

If I had the time I have no doubt that I could come up with some more but as I am just fitting some AVO coil over dampers to the rear of my Shadow I had better get back to work.

The best thing for you to do is to sit down with a copy of our pricelist one night or have a look at our website.

Kind regards,

Russell

C

carlhungness@verizon.net

Michael Breeding's Address

Hi:
Michael Breeding's e mail address is mbreeding@cnsp.com He is a fine craftsman who has made some great longer propstands for B & C Vincents, along with separate feet available. He has also manufactured clones of the Bowden brake, clutch and compression release levers. He is also known for his Indian parts. He may be semi-retired now but still has the Vincent parts advertised. His address is 20 Hondo Trail, Sante Fe, New Mexico 87508-5936 USA.
Last time I saw him he was riding a Vincent. Google his name for web site.

clevtrev

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Copy of an email that I sent to Carl today.

Carl,

Having looked at your last email on this subject I thought that I would drop you some facts.

G83L, 1/4" longer K/S shaft, made by Vinparts.

Low expansion pistons. Exhaust lifter seal kits. Clutch rod kit. Multi plate clutch (that does NOT need a deeper cover). Lead free valves. G23 Lock washer. Et100/1 Rocker feed bolt. Eli trunk kit. ET27SP. Crankshaft seal kit.

If I had the time I have no doubt that I could come up with some more but as I am just fitting some AVO coil over dampers to the rear of my Shadow I had better get back to work.

The best thing for you to do is to sit down with a copy of our pricelist one night or have a look at our website.

Kind regards,

Russell
When did valves come with lead in ? Must have been before my time.

Chris-T

Forum User
VOC Member
Bit of encouragement

Sorry for the late reply. Have only just spotted this one. Can I offer you every encouragement on this venture. This is something that I would really help me. I am about to rebuild my engine and I'd rather not complete the task and then find there is something out there that would have been most beneficial to fit. It would also be helpful to know what benefit they might offer for instance why should I want an extra 1/4" on my kickstart shaft? It would also be good to somehow rate these mods ie must fit - nice to have.

Not sure I can suggest much although I have just been looking at the Rex Bunn engine breather website (Victoria, Australia Section Review MPH)which seems to have found much aclaim from the Royal Enfield fraternity and is supplied as a kit for Vincents.

Something I haven't seen mentioned in Vincent circles is the Classic Solutions magneto replacement for Vincents which from their website appears to be a well made device fitted with either Pazon or Boyer electronics. Has anybody got any experience of this.

Chris.

C

carlhungness@verizon.net

Modificatins For Vincent

Hi:
Thanks for the reply. One of the best things you, and any other member could do would be to send me some precise specifics on modifications.Describe the mod, tell me where it is available, price in Pounds Sterling, US Dollars or Euros and part number if possible. You mentioned a breather system and an ignition system, neither of which I have any knowledge. I believe a mod list should be printed annually in the MPH to (particularly) assist new members. It will take me some months to compile an article and hope to do a proper job of it. I think we could also add a list of those who specialize in working on the machine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian Savage

VOC Vice President
VOC Member
A small word of caution on this subject, many of the mods being described are small batch 'homemade' items that members make for themselves and an extra few now and then for friends etc.
By ‘advertising’ these to the open market may well swamp them and they stop making such items completely.
I had some experience of this doing cut down car dynamos some years ago.
I believe if anyone wants to make a commercial enterprise of making a certain item they would advertise it themselves e.g. Dave Hills centre stands.