FF: Forks Modified Steering Stem

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
There are a couple of very seasoned riders here in Australia, who until quite recently had only just got the chance to ride their bikes with this modification done.........Even so, it wasn't until they had covered a few good miles that they realized the benefits of this mod.........Their feedback was that the steering felt much lighter and responsive, but that somehow they were readily grinding their foot pegs on the ground whilst cornering, and also the braking felt much more effective and compliant over rough roads. To me this was good feedback, as these blokes have owned Vincent's for a long time and covered many miles.........One of them actually suffered a bad crash years ago, and realized after discussions, that it was almost certainly a tank slapper that threw him off. When I was running the racer in my pic to the left, it felt amazing to ride, especially with a simple coilover shock on the front and rear........the reduction in friction was massive and the changes altered the behavior a lot....... I don't ever remember the front end acting badly even over some rough stuff and I could easily out corner many of my opponents on the track..........The chap who owns it now is a far better rider than me..........I have seen him on this same bike racing against Beau Beaton on the Horner brothers "Goodwood" bike in Victoria.......He made the exact same observations as me.
With my Comet fitted with the 'new' steering head I run a 19" front and 18" rear and the new Michelin Sport Classic Tyres, 34 psi rear and 30 psi front. Thornton on the front with standard spring boxes and a thornton coil over but without the coil and standard spring boxes at the rear.

As Greg has commented, handling and braking under all conditions is a massive improvement over the standard setup and a bit like he commented - in the twisties when touring I can easily 'out ride' , aka leave behind, folk on modern so called sports bikes - they only go faster because of the power difference when there is a straight!

But having said that the major factor is vastly improved ride safety and a serious improvement in brake performance, especially when on uneven surfaces

squiggles

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Norman,
It's good news that you're getting another batch ready
I've sent you an email with a firm order for the full kit
Cheers
David Woodiwiss
AKA Squiggles
Western Australia

timetraveller

VOC Member
Ok Chaps, in five days I have had orders for at least ten and possibly more. Some people are waiting for new lower link but at the moment the Spares Company, Maughans and Conways are all out of stock. These will be required for those who either do not want to risk sending theirs through any postal system or do not have originals. This means that I can certianly go ahead with a new batch and I will keep you all informed via this forum when anything applies to all orders. In the mean time could I ask you to communicate with me via email at enw07@btinternet.com This is just to make it easier for me to keep up to everyone as some orders come through this forum, some through private messages on the forum and some through emails. If email to me is the preferred method that should make it easier. Thank you.

erik

VOC Member
Some days ago I rode my Standard Comet and I felt a little bit unsafe because I had used my Twin and the other single with the mod. steer. stem. Now the original Comet will be converted when the part arrives. Erik

Attachments

• IMG_6642[1].JPG
    IMG_6642[1].JPG
    456 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6644[1].JPG
    IMG_6644[1].JPG
    451.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited by a moderator:

highbury731

VOC Member
Taper roller head races have a reputation for reducing handling problems. Do they make a difference on a Vincent, and if so, does the modified steering head make them more or less desirable?
Paul