FF: Forks Modified Steering Stem

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I've just dug out one of my eccentrics and it looks like there may just be enough to turn one down to 1". If steel ones were used they could be hardened enough to work for a considerable time.
Anyway back to the holes drilled in the spring boxes, I sealed them up with silicon and several layers of tape this morning and have just been out and done 20 miles and there is NO perceptible difference.
Chris.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Chris, I think you are using needle bearings at the rear of the lower link instead of the bigger bearings. What is the bearing ID? I don't have a set of girdraulics to look at now, but I am not sure a new lower stem would be necessary to switch to bearings. A new smaller concentric part would be required to use the original FF2 spindle if the standard eccentric OD and the associated pieces could not be reduced to that ID. Probably not worth the effort except as an expensive experiment to determine the way friction affects the forks, since such brilliant solution has already shown so much success and has been made available and tested by some really generous and dedicated people. If one was to go to all that trouble, we might have to start a new never ending topic on the forum, and I'm sure we would rather be riding. The experiment would also violate the one change at a time method since the eccentrics are changed.
For Bill, I know you are aware that the center of the eye of the lower link is midway between the solo and side car position, so a concentric would not have that great of an effect on trail. The pivot would be only 3/16" different, not 3/8" like the sidecar setting. Davidd used a concentric on his racer without any concern about reduced trail, but given your past experience, I understand the misgivings.
Hello Ron, I don't think I ever used an Hydraulic Damper when I was Racing, 5 years with the Blue un and 7 years with the L/ning rep, Standard Forks.
I rode with the standard Damper, A bit tight, Which was a Pain ! in tight bends ie Hairpin, I would have loved to be quicker at our Curborough Twisty Sprint, Which was very short and tight.
If I did what you are thinking, There is a way !!, I would make sure the forks didn't come too far up, Where the trail is less. Cheers Bill.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
If I did what you are thinking, There is a way !!, I would make sure the forks didn't come too far up, Where the trail is less. Cheers Bill.

Thanks Chris and David, it looks like there are a couple of reasonable ways to do a standard stem bearing conversion

Bill,
If anyone is going to try something different just for fun I would guess it would be you.... I still am thinking about that carburetor turned on its side so you could use a rear head.

Ron

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Ron, I hope you don't think I am being difficult, I just like to try things different, Using stuff I already have, On the Cheap !.
Always wanted to do work in Design, But not good at school.
Always blamed that inlet manifold for not good power, But now with the Amal Mk2 30mm, With Flash spec engine, Goes very well.
Cheers bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
Bill called a 'natural fabricator' I like that.i went to tech school in High Wycombe and the old chair makers who made furniture parts in the beech woods round there were called buy another name which I would be happy to be called and after seeing some of their craft work never understood why it became derogatory.
Can you guess what it was?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Bill called a 'natural fabricator' I like that.i went to tech school in High Wycombe and the old chair makers who made furniture parts in the beech woods round there were called buy another name which I would be happy to be called and after seeing some of their craft work never understood why it became derogatory.
Funny you talk about chairs, I was doing some welding on the Comet, And there are 2 Baby stair gates that are hanging on the wall, Not anymore !!, Together with a bit of Bed frame, They are now a Chair !!.
Once I am Welding, Nothing is safe !. Cheers Bill.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I know sir, I know sir, (said with my hand held aloft) it is a BODGER, but I do live quite near High Wycombe!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Having seen "The New Yankee Workshop "on T.V. and youtube , I am a big Fan, A Master Craftsman, Not a Bodge in sight . Cheers Bill.