Well Known and Active Website User
Hi there to all interested in this subject, just wanted say that I have just installed this kit, along with the change from the large lower link eye bushes to sealed bearings, to a friends Comet. In fact it is the bike belonging to Neal Lowe who lives not far from me here on the Gold Coast, and has a write up about his two bikes in the latest MPH. So he has had a taste of the difference between the Girdraulics on his Comet verses the Brampton's on his "B" Rapide. Well the conversion process went very well, only hold up was getting the link eye's honed out to suit the 32 mm OD bearings, but that was not too difficult, and I soon had all 4 bearings pressed into the link and installed on the new stem, which we had fitted the day before. I ordered one of the new Kawasaki type steering dampers to be installed in the next few days. I had a small batch of attachment brackets made as per Norman Walker's design from 6 mm 6061 alloy, and these bolt straight on with two 6 mm Allan headed cap screws. Ok the final part was what springs to use, and I had already had some 40 Lb springs made at two different lengths, but these were too long, and even the short ones when installed in the front of my Rapide, was topping out and I could not press the suspension down at all...!!!! In the end on my bike I used a pair of David's springs of the red version which are 75 Lb's each. These work quite ok, and still probably a bit heavy still, but not unacceptable. Ok .....Back to the 40 Lb springs.......We decided to use these and chop them down in increments and see what happens, first we cut 25 mm off and tried this, but it felt too heavy, so we chopped another 25 mm again, and this felt quite good. The right side spring box felt very harsh, so I removed it and thoroughly washed it out to remove any grit and old grease, reassembled, and refitted the front wheel. We hooked up the front brake cables, adjusted the brakes and tightened the front axle. The front end felt very good, and dived with the front brake held firm. It was time to go for a ride......It fired up first kick, and I took off up my drive way, and off down the hill and around the block. The bike felt absolutely fabulous, the font end rising on acceleration as I changed up through the gears, followed the bumps and divets in the road with a nice soft ride, no harshness at all, back off the throttle and touch the front brake, and the front dives nicely....Not too much, but just as it should. I returned up my street where Neal was waiting for the news......I handed him my helmet and sent him off for a test ride. When he returned he could not believe the transformation, and he agreed as I did, that it actually felt better than the Brampton's on his "B" Rapide. All in all I felt very happy with the spring choice, though I will try some of the ones Norman has made up in the front of my Rapide, as mine still feels a bit stiff. The springs really take some experimentation to get right dependent on the rider and the bike itself. But by todays efforts, I can honestly say that Neal's Comet feels better than any other I have ridden, and I think from Neal's reaction that he would totally agree. Now he has plans to upgrade the rear suspension as well, and as we know these things can be a work in progress. But given this is the first Comet I have carried out this modification to, I can say with absolute confidence that it is most definitely worth the while. Big Thanks to all who contributed to this outcome, especially Norman and David. Cheers for now...............Greg.