Modifications and the coming storm (UK)

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Its bad enough waiting to see what the UK pen pushers make of roadworthiness testing (I see my spelling software doesn't like the term either) now that the UK has given in to the EU Directive. I for one am glad I haven't fitted disc brakes to my Vincent , (an obvious safety risk) and I am hoping that my non original tyres fit under the radar. But now I read that a 'Christian' who had a few choice words about her faith on her car and (horrors!) a extra cigarette lighter point in her boot, was refused payment after a theft from her car because her insurers (Age UK!) said her car was modified. ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-31064998 ) Oh tremble in your boots Black shadow owners with chrome handlebars you are not worthy (roadworthy)

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
At first I was going to say ask if this was an early April Fool's joke. But obviously it isn't. What is wrong with people these days? This isn't a modification that effects performance or safety. Yes it is a modification of appearance but again it effects nothing. Would they have heart burn if she failed to mention she had fuzzy warm seat covers? That company would soon go under here. Word would get out here and that would be that. Just about everyone has a bumper sticker or two over, and those expressing ones faith are to been seen everywhere. This just makes the world a little sadder and colder.
Steven

mercurycrest

VOC Member
At first I was going to say ask if this was an early April Fool's joke. But obviously it isn't. What is wrong with people these days? This isn't a modification that effects performance or safety. Yes it is a modification of appearance but again it effects nothing. Would they have heart burn if she failed to mention she had fuzzy warm seat covers? That company would soon go under here. Word would get out here and that would be that. Just about everyone has a bumper sticker or two over, and those expressing ones faith are to been seen everywhere. This just makes the world a little sadder and colder.
Steven

In Washington State, we have an Insurance Commissioner. A phone call to his office and this company would be in deep doo doo. May even loose their license over something like this type of scam.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
In Washington State, we have an Insurance Commissioner. A phone call to his office and this company would be in deep doo doo. May even loose their license over something like this type of scam.
Same thing in Michigan. But it just shows how small minded and petty some people can be. Personally I'd find a new company and cancel my policy. You can insure my car as is or pound sand and I'll give my green backs to someone else. I'd also spread a new type of gospel!
Steven

vibrac

VOC Member
Interesting that UK members are so silent on the implications of the EU directive or the insurance industries attitude that head in the sand stance of all things is the most worrying aspect

A_HRD

VOC Member
Yes indeed Tim! Just like the wider picture involving the EU and USA Big Businesses who are cooking-up the new regulations, right now, that will define how they operate. (Marking own homework comes to mind!). Do you think they have your best interests at the heart of their secret deliberations?

http://action.sumofus.org/a/ttip-video/?akid=9195.1189585.o3FfSl&rd=1&sub=fwd&t=3

Sorry if I've gone a bit off topic; but this is part of the coming storm that could well affect our motorcycling habits too….

Peter B
Bristol, UK.
STILL WANTED: Series 'A' Front Frame.

vibrac

VOC Member
All part of the great dummying down of motoring. For instance I cannot believe the adverts on Cinema or TV nowadays for cars. Not a mention of technical specifications engine size, performance, MPG, acceleration figures, physical dimensions, even (am I saying this?) safety. This to a generation who know every techy trick in the silicone infested world. (yes you may get a shot of the communications interface).
The car is truly a washing machine with wheels and bikes are not far behind. 'they' certainly don't want vehicles with lifetimes of 70+ years still with good spares support affecting their sales figures

jim burgess

VOC Member
thank you peter, petition signed and will spread the word. i have been writing to insurance companies about their policies for some time with zero response.
jim

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I was recently reading an article in "American Motorcyclist", which is the journal of the American Motorcycle Association. The article was about harmonization of the industry across the world. Which of course means that to do that all the rules and regs have to be the same so that a bike built in one country can be sold in another country. Further along one of the points the article made was that if said bike built in A met the requirements of the larger group as a whole and was sold in B (a member of the larger group), then country C which might have specific requirements but was also part of the larger group had no choice but to allow sales even if the specific local requirements were not met. Conversely if the larger group as a whole decided that requirements for the manufacture of the bike in the country of manufacture A was contrary regs of the group as a whole the manufacturer was between a rock and a hard place. He either broke his country's law and manufactured to the regs or manufactured to the local law and couldn't sell anywhere.
This global harmonization is destroying national sovereignty. Particularly when the "big brains" are appointees and not freely elected.
Steven