Modern fuels (additives)?

vince998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Has any body else noticed how agressive the modern petrol is getting (and how much it stinks)?

I´ve developed a fuel leak at the rear of the tank (the weld sealing the back of the tunnel up).

On cleaning up and sanding back, it turns out to be a porous weld that has always been there (and probably only been sealed by the enamel or paint) but the fuel has dissolved the paint (2 pack repainted about 8 years ago) over a large area into a soft pulp.

I´m not sure how long this has been developing as i can´t remember the last time i looked at the bottom of the tank.

I´ve noticed on my old supply of fuel lines (unused but from the 80s) that after a short period of use, they lose all stability.

Even Amal are now offering new floats for MKI concentrics made out of some type of military un-burstable, unsinkable material (and at last adjustable so no more tapping float needle seats in and out to obtain the correct fuel level :rolleyes:)

Even the paint in the top portion of my filler neck (forgot to tell the painters to mask it up) has just recently started to soften and peel off/fall into the tank, yet for the last 8 years it has been O.K?

Looking inside the tank, i´ve only got a light covering of surface rust, but i´m givng my tank to a guy down the road for internal coating tommorow (before any other nasties surface)
He uses a 2 component flexible material swished (or is that swooshed) around the inside of the tank (after de-rusting/cleaning) that is also resistant to modern fuels.
Apparently there are a lot of tank sealing products on the market (used over the last 10 years or so) that aren´t resistant to modern fuels, so maybe worth a look if you´ve already been there and done that.

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Vince, We have been talking about this petrol on other threads. In the U.K. most places sell two types of unleaded, I now only use the expensive one,As you say smell is wrong, But the expensive one is OK, To me anyway !! Good Luck, Bill.

Albervin

VOC Member
I have just looked inside a tank that has been sitting for a number of years. The very small amount of residual petrol has turned to the fifth state of matter!!! As far as sealants go, I believe the POR15 product still works with this concoction or Aromatic & Aliphatic hydrocarbons.

vince998

VOC Member
Hello Vince, We have been talking about this petrol on other threads. In the U.K. most places sell two types of unleaded, I now only use the expensive one,As you say smell is wrong, But the expensive one is OK, To me anyway !! Good Luck, Bill.

Hi Bill,
Here in Germany we have Super (95 Octane) & Super + (98 Octane and more expensive).
We then have Arals + Shells V-Power + Co (or what ever else they call it)
I take it you mean the middle one (98 Octane)?

Thanks

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Vince, I just pay the most and hope, I think it must be 98, I had a 2 year lay off with my l/ning rep, now a road bike, and when I got it going again it ran like a pig, all the settings were the same, I thought I had done some piston damage, The problem was too rich on the slides, It would wet the plugs, the back one most, I took a file to the slides and got my old bike back, I think they are peeing in the petrol to save money !! Cheers Bill.

Tracey Tilley

VOC Member
Sealing the tank

The disadvantage of these sealants is that if the tank ever needs welding the resin gives off a gas that's combustible.:( (Unless it's a removable resin) A hair raising experience I would not want to repeat.

Chris.

vince998

VOC Member
The disadvantage of these sealants is that if the tank ever needs welding the resin gives off a gas that's combustible.:( (Unless it's a removable resin) A hair raising experience I would not want to repeat.

Chris.

I´m Hoping that after complete cleaning , internal sealing and re-painting, that i will never have to touch the thing again.
"Come back in a thousand years and all you will find is the tank" kind of thing.

vince998

VOC Member
Hello Vince, I just pay the most and hope, I think it must be 98, I had a 2 year lay off with my l/ning rep, now a road bike, and when I got it going again it ran like a pig, all the settings were the same, I thought I had done some piston damage, The problem was too rich on the slides, It would wet the plugs, the back one most, I took a file to the slides and got my old bike back, I think they are peeing in the petrol to save money !! Cheers Bill.

The way it tastes (don´t ask :rolleyes:) peeing in it would probably be an improvement.

Bracker1

VOC Member
Hi Vince, Following up from your other thread. My thought is the alcohol they have added is causing the probem. In the USA, most boat marinas will sell fuel without alcohol. Boats from the 60's and 70's use fiberglass fuel tanks which are degraded by the alcohol fuels and some have explode because of this . May not help when riding on some roads, but in our area we have plenty of marinas that aren't too much of a trouble to get to.The very least, at the end of the season, run a couple gallons through with some Stabil and the next season start up will be no problem. The other option is to have a friend who flys a plane grab some cans of aviation fuel,no alcohol and lead, for your bike. You'll be amazed how much nicer it runs. Same goes for the oil used. I stick with the AV shell 50, which is suitable for the older design engines. Good Luck with the Shadow, and safe riding. Dan

clevtrev

VOC Member

Chris.

I was just about to say exactly the same, and add that if you ever get a leak, don`t bring it to me to repair.