ET: Engine (Twin) Modern BTH coils

macvette

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I've got what I think is an intermittent misfire on my twin, just wondering what experience people have had with failing coils on this system.My mag is 5 yrs old.

davidd

VOC Member
I have had good luck with the coils. I had an intermittent spark on the racer once. It has a twin coil system. I went to change both coils, but found a loose connector. I had changed one coil, but did not change the other when I found the faulty connector. The other coil has run for 11 years. The one I traded out has run for 9 years. They were not very expensive at the time. I bought extras, but have not used them, except for the one mentioned above.

David

vibrac

VOC Member
I think electrically they are the same its only a more secure way of holding the lead thats changed. Half the problem is people insisting on stuffing them under that alloy cowl. I use the bracket thoughtfully supplied by Mr Vincent sixty years before I needed it (unless you have a sidecar).
I will also mention that when I took the cap off my BTH I was awe struck by the modifications to the finish rendered by Mr Rust, I just cleaned the contact faces.