ET: Engine (Twin) Mk2 Amals

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Any body know about Mk2 s, I fitted one on my Comet, Flash Spec', A year or so ago, Thrilled to bits, 30 mm. Jetted as they supply.
Just fitted 2 to my ex L/ning, Same setting, Same size, No Fast idle !, When on choke.
Goes like stink, Mind you, Just got off the Comet !!.
I wonder if the slide, 3 , Is too rich ?, And that is upsetting the choke ?.
I do feel it's a nat's rich On the slide, But just done 50 miles, Slow and fast ish, And it has not messed a plug up yet.
Good hot starting, And they look !, so Fast !.
Can't tell you how small amount of throttle = 70 mph !!.
Cheers Bill.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Bill you probably want a different choke jet, don't know which way though, they're the same as pilot jets and are in the float bowl down the hole where the choke tube goes. Not many people notice them !!!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thank's Chris, I know the jet you are saying, It was the only thread or jet that had not been beggered.
The last owner could not have known it was there !!.
Cheers Bill.

stu spalding

VOC Member
Just watch out for slides coated with teflon or similar on Mk2 concentrics. They're great until the coating wears through when they jam solid as soon as it rains. The materials of slide and body are totally non compatible. Cheers, Stu.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thank's Roy, So yours is rich enough to start from cold without choke ?.
I thought mine was a bit rich, But took the plugs out last night, And they don't look bad.
I first kicked mine with the chokes on a few times, Then chokes off and it started.
Started well after a long chat by the riverside, No choke.
I have only been out once , So early days.
Holds 70 mph with just a nat's of throttle, Don't know why we need Big Carb's !!.
Cheers Bill.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
One time I was riding beside Glenn Shriver who was on his Rapide in solo trim at about 60 mph. No air filters, so I was able to see how much of the slide on the rear carb was showing. Very surprising!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thank's Bruce, I was thinking it might be because it was running a bit rich ?.
But I think it would have messed a plug up by now ?.
Never knew these Mk2 s have been around since 1974 !, Where have I been !.
To me they are much better than Mk1 s, Made in Alloy, Much lighter and better made, Solid slide ,
So better air flow, I would feel more happy with a fast idle on choke, Like my Comet.
Rubber mounts, So no heat build up ?.
I was chatting to a lad with L plates, Down at the coast, Long chat !, And when I came to start it, I wanted to impress !!,This was the Comet, So put the choke on, Super, Fast idle for a few seconds, Top Job.
Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Bill, just a smidge of choke first off, rest of the day starts well, except with an audience! Roy.
Thanks Roy, They say in the Book, If you use more than a 1/4 throttle, It stops the choke from working.
I think the Comet is a 50 jet, I thought that would be too rich, But seems to work OK,
I will have to take them apart again.
Love the look of them. DSCN0038.JPG