ET: Engine (Twin) Mk2 Amals

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
While I was setting up my MK1s last autumn I marked the twistgrip so I knew where in the carbs range I was at any given speed, found I was still on the slide (1/8th-1/4 open) at 50mph.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Not sure if anybody is interested, But an update, Thought the slow running was a bit wooly.
So hand cut the slides a bit !!, Maybe a bit too much.
Now have a bad misfire, I would have put money on Ignition, I would have lost !!.
Checked the Rita out and fitted new coils.
Took the rear carb' apart , Good clean.
Lifted the needle one notch in the rear, It was the rear plug, Wetting/Oiling ?
Fitted both starter jets, Now 35, Was 50.
Now have a fast idle with the chokes on.
Still not nice, Made the pilot richer to try to overcome having taken too much off the slides.
Now 1 turn out.
I find the pilot setting affects higher up the range than I thought on Mk2 s.
Slow running now nice, Which makes such a difference with the standard clutch, To put into first gear.
Just been for a ride, best ever !, 40 mph so smooth + roll on from there, Goes like stink !, L/ning spec'.
Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Just fitted new number 3 slides, On the L/ning, I got them at Netley, From Surry Cycles,
The new ones have a small hole in the bottom of the slide !!.
When I first fitted Mk2 s, I found them a bit rich, At the bottom end, And had to recut them, Now these have gone on and have found them good, Wonder if that was what the hole is for ?.
Cheers Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
Just fitted new number 3 slides, On the L/ning, I got them at Netley, From Surry Cycles,
The new ones have a small hole in the bottom of the slide !!.
When I first fitted Mk2 s, I found them a bit rich, At the bottom end, And had to recut them, Now these have gone on and have found them good, Wonder if that was what the hole is for ?.
Cheers Bill.
Tickover (thats what we did to TT on the road) or how about to reduce pressure of slide against back wall on closed throttle

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I just had the plugs out and it's still running rich, But doesn't feel bad on the road,
I changed the slides because, As Stu' says, It started jamming last year, But silly me, I have bought the same type !!. But the pressure might be some of the problem.
The new slides are also different inside at the base, As well as the hole.
May try lowering the needle ?.
The Bike really does fly !.
I was thinking of buying a modern fast bike, But this one scares the Wotsits out of me :) .
Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Just had a thought, This must have the light flywheels, And high first gear, First and second feel close,
Feels like a a Triumph, Banging through gears !.
Cheers Bill.

robin

VOC Member
Mk2 Amal 2928 settings;- Pilot 20, Needle jet 105 (weak), Slide 3 1/2 to 4, main 190/200 and 5/16" pipe work throughout. Especially the petrol taps.