E: Engine Mk1 or Mk 3 Cams

Rob H

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have a series B rapide which has been sitting for many a year. Looking at renewing the cams.

What's the consensus on the best profile to use, Mk1 or Mk3

regs

Last edited by a moderator:

davidd

VOC Member
It is difficult to distinguish between them, which may be a good thing. I think either is a good choice. I have found the quality of the grinds to be all over the place with old cams. The most consistent grind I have found on new cams is from Megacycle, but I have not had access to many other new cams. The only down side with Megacycle is that they provide phosphor bronze bushings, which seize. I order them with no bushings and install the Oilite bushings, so I do not make a mistake.

David

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
I fitted MK 2's NOS in 1970 now with 300+k miles, not a lot of difference until fitting open pipes then 130 + and surprised my son. He borrowed it after passing his test at Bodmin and came home saying he wanted to show the testers at Bodmin, after came home didn't say much as he did all the local lads bikes de-resticting them and tuning them, they were pretty nippy for the lanes, three months later we had are local steam rally and I fitted the open pipes and removed panniers etc , he took it out with mate pillion and did Liskeard bypass, turning his head wearing motocross helmet & goggles had the goggles blown round to the side, fastest he'd ever been. Now 170mph is nothing for him.
bananaman.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Gary Robinson is finishing soon going by a piece he wrote to the editor of MPH,, honoring work already in the pipe line, BUT his advert is still running in MPH ?!

Rob H

VOC Member
As there does not seem to be any preference will stick with the Mk1 which is what it came with