MK1 carb tuning and BTH noise?

stumpy lord

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
nylon a.t.d. gear wheels

Eric. The nylon type ATD gear also swell as they attract moisture. I would get rid of it and go back to a fibre one and that will probably cure the whine. Good luck.

you are of course correct when you say that nylon atd gears where hydrascopic and did swell with use, however the latest ones are not hydrascop and do not swell. Roger and I have been using nylon gears as suplied by francois Grosset with his ignition system for many year with no problems.If your machine is ftted with one of the earlier ones it could be giving you a problem, but is not correct to say that all nylon gears will swell.
cheers , stumpy lord

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Dear Eric,
The BT-H magneto stainless steel drive shaft has a standard taper fitting. If you find that the nylon gear is a problem you can refit the original fibre gear.

Thanks ! I was thinking a delrin gear would also work as a replacement for the PFA one. Have we any experence with the delrin gears? I do have the original fibre gear, do you know if that will fit on a BTH?

Thanks,
Eric

Ducdude

VOC Member
Dear Eric,
The BT-H magneto stainless steel drive shaft has a standard taper fitting. If you find that the nylon gear is a problem you can refit the original fibre gear.

Thanks Handy to know.... I will know more once I get in there....

Cheers,
Eric

Ducdude

VOC Member
Well family stuff got in the way of quality wrenching time this week end.
So, I picked an easy job and just swapped the 210 mains for a set of 230's
in my shadow's MK1's. I did this due to the evidence, poor top end
performance and pipe bluing , and the recommendations on the lists had
pointed to a lean running condition.

Sure it is an easy job but I had to drag out the lift and strap her down and
the tank had to come off and the battery has to come out to get the carbs
out and then the bowls off. No matter how careful I am I always end up
dumping at least one bowl of fuel on the work bench.:-( That and I was
working at a snails pace today due to a late 0200hrs night the night
before...BTW real good single malt scotch (Islay) will not give you a hang
over if you match shot for shot with 6oz of water....That was the plan any
way...once vision returns to BOTH eyes I will let you the final results..:-o

Side bar....there was a bit of sediment on the bottom screen of the lower RH
carb, I had better keep an eye on this as the bits got by the in line filter
and the petcock screens...hmmm?

So, how did the 230's feel. Sadly, I only had time for an around the town
jaunt without re-tuning the carbs air mixture screws to optimize the new
jets but here is what I found...Man was the bike hard to start...Took +4-5
kicks...She came off the chokes in 0.01 sec.s and seemed to be behaving
normaly for warm up otherwise...Did a quick run to get some petrol in the
tank and man what a pain she was to start again...After the gas stop I did a
blast on a 1/2 mile run and the acceleration was noticeably more potent.
However, I could tell that the running was not smooth due to a lack of warm
up and what I have to believe is a to rich condition requiring a good bit of
tuning on the air screws...

Time ran out and I had to put the bike away before I could get her good and
warm to dial the carbs in...So, next week will see a continuation of this
work...By then the new mag gear will be here to try to quell the timing case
whine and I will have time to get her on the motor way and see if the ton
finally comes up on the old girl....

Another fine day in Vincent land...

Cheers,
Eric

Bracker1

VOC Member
I missed something. What happened when you used the 220 jets? I am not sure, but i think the fuels are less viscous and the jet sizes need to adjusted accordingly going down in size. I gave up on the Amals, and bought a cheap pair of Keihins.. Bike idles and runs like a champ.....I gave up feddling with the Amals. Slapped the Keihins on out of the box with jets sized for an 850 Norton. See you at the International. Dan

Ducdude

VOC Member
I missed something. What happened when you used the 220 jets? I am not sure, but i think the fuels are less viscous and the jet sizes need to adjusted accordingly going down in size. I gave up on the Amals, and bought a cheap pair of Keihins.. Bike idles and runs like a champ.....I gave up feddling with the Amals. Slapped the Keihins on out of the box with jets sized for an 850 Norton. See you at the International. Dan

Bracker,

I went right to the 230 and skipped the 220's I took a shot...This way I can go up or down another one....

I like the Amals they are very basic and they look the part...Heck I am having fun feddling and that is all that matters..

Cheers
Eric

Ducdude

VOC Member
See you at the International. Dan

Yes I will see you there...I can only make the last stage but we are only an hour from my house so even if the shadow does not make the trip and back I can almost push her home...:)

Ciao,
Eric

Bracker1

VOC Member
I went with the PKW flat slide 28mm (Keihin clone)with the needle set to one below middle notch, K & N air filter. Steadfast Motorcycles in Ca. sells them jetted for an 850 Commando.. I haven't checked the jet size. I suppose I should check the plugs N5 Champions, but it is running too well to mess with. Getting 35mpg about the same as the monoblocs I replaced. They also don't leak on the side stand another plus. We will see how they hold up. Don't know what the top speed is because I am the world's slowest Vincent rider. The good news is I hit the gas and can get by cars without a lot of fuss. Save Riding, Dan

Howard

VOC Member
I went with the PKW flat slide 28mm (Keihin clone)with the needle set to one below middle notch, K & N air filter. Steadfast Motorcycles in Ca. sells them jetted for an 850 Commando.. I haven't checked the jet size. I suppose I should check the plugs N5 Champions, but it is running too well to mess with. Getting 35mpg about the same as the monoblocs I replaced. They also don't leak on the side stand another plus. We will see how they hold up. Don't know what the top speed is because I am the world's slowest Vincent rider. The good news is I hit the gas and can get by cars without a lot of fuss. Save Riding, Dan

Is that 35 mpg a typo? I'm getting high 40s on a short thrash on A roads - I'm not Casey Stoner, but I don't hang around. I used to average 50 mpg touring (70 mph +) two up with camping gear.

H