Mk 2 Camshafts

Bracker1

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'm about to rebuild my Shadow engine, and had a question about camshafts. I have mk 2's at the moment that are in good condition. Should I replace with a different profile ? The bike will be used just for touring, not racing or sprinting. Also, if I retain the Mk 2's should I switch to a straight exhaust as mentioned in Richardson's book. Thanks, Dan

timetraveller

VOC Member
Use a Mk I or Mk III. Despite what the pundits will tell you about using MkIIs on the road ( I have for years) they were designed to work above 4,000 rpm (straight from Phil Irving to me in a conversation many years ago) and you will find the bike much more flexible in traffic with the softer cams. Don't take my word for it alone. If you can find someone with MkIIs, correctly timed, on a road bike get them to start it up and rev it. You will see that there is blow back from the carbs until the bike is up to about 4,000 rpm.

Good luck

Bracker1

VOC Member
Thanks for the info. I'll probably go to a MK 3 ... It appears my engine was used for racing, and from the looks of the rest of the innards, it won a total of 0 races. Quite frankly, it was the worst rebuild of an engine ever. The good news is ,the new parts are so expensive I will be unable to waste money on frivolous items like food and heat. Come spring, it will be fit for the road again. Cheers, Dan