Mister Roadrunner starring Jools Holland

roy the mechanic

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I don't know about a Vin, he certainly owned a B R M, when shown the shrapnel in Hall+Fowlers dyno room and was told "this was from the last time we ran it" his wallet had severe contractions!

A

alan wright

Bonjour, we used to see Mark regularly at UK race tracks when he had aspirations to be a Porsche Championship driver. He used to turn up with James Weaver and he was a very quick learner but I don't think he had the time needed to become a regular entrant. While we are name dropping I remember Rowan Atkinson being a very quick driver in single seaters and also he did all his own boring stuff like scrutineering, weighbridge etc, unlike some "celebrities" who thought it was beneath them. Dave lee Travis seemed a good bloke but the guy who provided the most hilarity among the proper drivers was "Upside down" Andrew Ridgeley (from Take that??) in Formula Renault. I have a rare photo of him the right way up; i.e. on 4 wheels !!! Also remember Alain de Cadenet, th Le Mans driver had a B Shadow, don't know if he still has. Sorry to go off thread a bit but it's raining outside...........Best regards, Alan

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Just had a good ol' browse to see if this had been released on DVD but is seems not. Even his own website doesn't show it in the shop section. There is plenty of mention of the programme itself on movie , media and biog sites though.
Jools is indeed a classic bike fan , in fact there are many seemingly unlikely celeb classic bike fans , including Vic Reeves !!

A

alan wright

Hi Dave, got your message and tried to reply but the machine said I failed ( I am not worthy !!!!). I have a mate over here who reckons he can make a DVD copy from my tape but I haven't seen him lately. Also I have not heard from Channel 4/ EMI International yet as to the availability of a "professional" copy. Congrats on the new arrival, sign him up asap !!! Best regards Alan

Somer

VOC Member
I just stumbeled upon this thread. That was my Rapide and it was an excellent bike. I originally sold it t othe late Dick Busby in 83?
Anyway, it was extremely reliable. I turned down the film offer at 1st.Then Jools rang me up and told me about his experince.He also had other vintage bikes and was friends with Chicago's Mike Urschel.
Terms were agreed on and I met up with them.
I wound up touring with them for a week. The only time the bike ever gave trouble was during the filming! I had a seal go out in the front hub and had to repair it at 1am to meet a shoot at 8am.Jools was very keenly interested in the Vincent and as I understand later acquired one.
He was a brillant person.He wrote the whole movie as he went along.

vibrac

VOC Member
He had a Vin for sure I have seen it at a local steam fair in the parade stalls years ago
not such an enthusiast as David Janson but is definitely not a poser
If you come across a celebrity on a bike take it from me they appreciate being treated like another rider rather than getting the inane questions and requests they get from Joe public and often with a common interest like bikes it makes it easier to do

clevtrev

VOC Member
I just stumbeled upon this thread. That was my Rapide and it was an excellent bike. I originally sold it t othe late Dick Busby in 83?
Anyway, it was extremely reliable. I turned down the film offer at 1st.Then Jools rang me up and told me about his experince.He also had other vintage bikes and was friends with Chicago's Mike Urschel.
Terms were agreed on and I met up with them.
I wound up touring with them for a week. The only time the bike ever gave trouble was during the filming! I had a seal go out in the front hub and had to repair it at 1am to meet a shoot at 8am.Jools was very keenly interested in the Vincent and as I understand later acquired one.
He was a brillant person.He wrote the whole movie as he went along.

I have a photo of you and Dick unloading off your pickup. But I think you have the year wrong.

Prince Duster

VOC Member
Jools' favourite bike was - dunno about now - an Egli-Vincent. I read this, and on meeting him chatted to him about such things. Mike Urschel used to store his Royal Enfield at his place, before setting off on European trips on it. Both musos. It was also where Vic Reeves rented garage space. Jools Holland was a firm Velo man, but not sure he is now. The cross-USA film is very good. The end piece features, from memory, George Harrison, and the great Herbie Flowers, bass player for Blue Mink, Bowie and on Walk on the Wild Side... and the man who taught me my first few chords on guitar.