Mister Roadrunner starring Jools Holland

A

alan wright

Don't know if a lot of people know this but in the early nineties Jools Holland made a film for Channel 4 TV ( UK) in which he rode a C Rapide from Nashville down through Mississippi to New Orleans. It was a kind of musical "road" movie with a semi-fantasy ( voodoo) thread. It must have been a fantasy 'cos the Vin started first kick every time!! The film lasts one and a half hours and our hero meets many famous musicians,mainly rythm and blues, both English and American on his journey. I have a copy on video cassette which is losing its clarity so I have e-mailed Channel 4 asking if there is any possibility of issuing it as a DVD and I await their reply. In the meantime does any one out there have a copy on DVD . If not perhaps enough interest may prompt Channel 4 into action.....Wait to hear from you, best regards Alan

Diogenes

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Mister Roadrunner starring Jools Holland 2

Don't hold your breath waiting for a sensible reply from Channel 4.
Just get on with arranging a transfer of programme from VHS tape to DVD, before it deteriorates more.
Channel 4 are in big trouble now and are unlikely to do anything positive about your request.

Alan J

VOC Member
I just cannot imagine Jools Holland on any bike-especially a Vincent! Would he recognise a "whitworth spanner?"

scout

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I remember this program very well, & it galvanized my resolve to get a twin. I would be very grateful if you could produce a DVD for me too. I remember the bit about Harleys being for girls too, & he subsequently walking into a bar full of burly leather clad Harley owners

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Whilst not a fan of Mr Holland , I do beleive him to be a member of the "dangerous sports club" . Many stories of derring-do + motor cycles abound.

A

alan wright

Hi Folks, a bit of news from Channel 4. It seems that EMI own the rights to this film so I have written to them in London asking if copies are available and await their reply. If not I will take up the kind offer of Mr Nulli S. On the front cover of MPH 503 (DEC 1990) is a photo of Jools and the bike outside Skullbone General Store and inside is an article by Somer Hooker on his involvement and he mentions that Jools regularly rides a Velo. There are several photos of Jools and his Venom in the latest reprint of " Velocette Motorcycles-MSS to Thruxton " by Rod Burris and also a photo of the late, great Fred Dibnah sitting on the bike. I can personally confirm that Jools Holland did indeed own and ride the Venom as he sent his right hand man, Kos Kosovic to the Woburn Velo Club bring and buy with a Venom front brake drum to sell, which I bid for after a few pints, only to get it home and find it had a small crack on the spoke flange.....so if you meet Jools tell him he owes me 12 quid !!! I also reckon he had a Vin because I dimly recall him asking a late member of the Herts and Beds VOC to dispose of it for him. It's very exciting, isn' it ??!!! I must get out more !!! Best regards, Alan

Alan J

VOC Member
Wrong again! I do apologise to Mr. Holland If he can start "a velo" he is a better man than many of us!

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Talking of well known musicians, am I right in recalling that Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits fame was/is a Vincent owner?