Missing Vincent

Len Matthews

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Robin Cowling of Suffolk Wheels asks if anyone knows about the whereabouts of his uncle Ted Cowling's Vincent. Ted hailed from the Cardiff area and, according to Robin, he donated the machine and some tools to the Club. I realise that's not much to go on but if more info becomes available I'll put on the forum.

BlackLightning998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Am I dreaming.....

Robin Cowling of Suffolk Wheels asks if anyone knows about the whereabouts of his uncle Ted Cowling's Vincent. Ted hailed from the Cardiff area and, according to Robin, he donated the machine and some tools to the Club. I realise that's not much to go on but if more info becomes available I'll put on the forum.

I seem to recall reading an old copy of MPH which indicated that a Rapide had been donated to the Club as well as the Series A single - anyone else remember anything about that?

I never made a note of the issue - so it would be unlikely I'd find it again.

Regards

V

VOC Machine Registrar

Donation Rumours

Some years ago there was much talk of a machine donated to the club by Tony Fox-Male, with wild claims that the club officials of the time had lost it!

The current Executive Committee investigate the claims.
It turned out that very many years before his death, TFM wrote to the EC to say that he intended to leave an 'A' to the club. However when he died there was no mention in his will of such a bequest. It turned out that between writing the original letter and then many years later,meeting his death, TFM had sold his machines.

At the time of carrying out the TFM investigation we looked more widely into the subject, we noted that another member had asked the club to take over his collection when he dies, 25 years or so later this person is still very much alive.
In short, with the obvious exception of the Seymor-Smith 'A' Comet, we found no evidence or history to suggest that any other machines had been bequeathed to the club.

I therefore feel confident in saying that Ted Cowlings twin was never offered to the club.

However I suppose it is possible that the word club is being used very loosely by Robin Cowling, and possibly Ted donated it to which ever local section or group of Vincent owners that he was aquatinted with.

Hon. Secretary.