Mind Your Head

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I know what you mean. It is a classic mistake. It is hard to see, but the corner worker on the right is waving a red flag. The rider in the lead slows too quickly, something a rider should never do with a red flag. I have seen riders stop on track!

David

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Another good reason, Not to make a comeback, I am colour blind and I can't even see a bloke with a flag !! I raced for years and on some tracks they waved a green flag on the first lap, Always put me off, Never found out what it was untill I had stopped racing. To get my race licence, I told the Doctor I had a problem, He said ,"What colour is this Blue Book", I said Blue !! Have Fun, Bill.

mr.hutch

VOC Member
When I very rarely am caught driving the four wheels, the comment I get from her indoors, is 'Do you know what 3 and 0 mean ?'

Howard

VOC Member
Bill's mention of race flags reminds me of watching a VOC half hour trial at Cadwell. A certain Mr Bob Butler (late of the North Staffs Section, now sunning himself in Oz) was in charge of starting and stopping. He was so engrossed in conversation he forgot to check the time. Suddenly, someone must have noticed time was up, and told Bob, he grabbed a flag and ran to the track side to wave it in front of the leading rider. Unfortunately, the flag didn't unfurl and the rider must have thought he was being attacked with a stick. The second rider didn't fair much better, Bob deftly unfurled the flag and waved ............... the Union Jack - the guy must have thought he was so slow they'd started the next race.

H

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Another good one from Cadwell, Me going over the finish line and the Marshalls running for there lives, I thought I know I'm not good, But not that bad !! Looked over my shoulder and Trevor Smith was flying over the grass, Making a B line for them, Good Times, Cheers Bill.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
That is sort of like the story that a US magazine writer/racer Jess Thomas wrote about campaigning a Velo in the Daytona 200 in the '60's. One of the front runners told him that he lapped Jess so many times that he thought there was a whole Velo team there.

Bill's mention of race flags reminds me of watching a VOC half hour trial at Cadwell. A certain Mr Bob Butler (late of the North Staffs Section, now sunning himself in Oz) was in charge of starting and stopping. He was so engrossed in conversation he forgot to check the time. Suddenly, someone must have noticed time was up, and told Bob, he grabbed a flag and ran to the track side to wave it in front of the leading rider. Unfortunately, the flag didn't unfurl and the rider must have thought he was being attacked with a stick. The second rider didn't fair much better, Bob deftly unfurled the flag and waved ............... the Union Jack - the guy must have thought he was so slow they'd started the next race.

H